What is this thing/what did I just fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this thing/what did I just fix?

Ok, well, did the trans fluid and filter change today - the old stuff wasn't bad looking, and did the TC drain as well.

Whoops, keep forgetting that the last few quarts should go in SLOWLY!! Ah well, at least I cleaned up the mess enough not to be a superfund site, nor did I manage to wind up with a Dexron shampoo/conditioner treatment for myself.

However, while under the car, I noticed something that was located just inside of the side-marker light, immediately to the right of the frontmost mount of the right-side framerail.

Two hoses came down into it, one of which was almost completely broken off. The broken off line goes up through a hole, into the engine compartment, and disappears somewhere under the overhang part of the upper intake manifold - the line that wasn't broken off goes up through the same hole into the engine compartment, then moves rearward, and connects up with a metal line that I didn't follow.

I snipped off the torn end, and reattached the hose.

Is this thing the vapor canister? With that hose that was broken and literally hanging by a thread, did I have some sort of massive vacuum leak that I've just gotten rid of?

If so, I'll give credit to the EEC-IV system - it compensated well enough that I didn't realize anything was amiss with the way the car was running!

Still, what are the consequences, if any, of driving with that hose broken? What exact effects did it have while driving?
    1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
    Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
    Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
    Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

That would indeed be the vapor canister.

About all that happens if it was the vacuum side that was leaking is the evap system wasn't really functioning, and you had a slight vacuum leak. Doubt you'd notice much, but its possible you would get an occasional fuel smell from it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
    X