Oxygen sensor on headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxygen sensor on headers

well I have an 88 ltd crown victoria and I was going to change the headers with some stock 88 mustang gt but then I seen the oxygen sensor. But the mustang's headers don't have an opening to putthe sensor in so can I still put the headers on without putting back the sensor or will it affect the way the car drives and what do I need to install the headers in? Thanks alot

Eliminating O2 sensors on an injected vehicle is a Very Bad Idea (I am assuming here that your vehicle is a 5.0 SEFI car), as they're the ECM's "ears" for determining whether the air/fuel ration is correct.

You have two usual options:

One, if you modify your existing exhaust pipes to fit the larger ball-style joint on the Mustang headers, you can jut buy some O2 bungs and weld them to your pipes as close to the header as practicable.

Two, get a Mustang-style H pipe - it will have O2 bungs positioned a little way down the pipe.

Either way, you'll probably want to get new sensors with longer pigtails on them. As I recall, your original ones won't quite reach.
    Last edited by 1987cp; 09-06-2009, 02:39 AM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yep, Mark VII sensors should be the long wire versions that you'll need. Any exhaust shop can add the bungs for a nominal fee if you don't have a welder.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Actually, the long-wire sensors I bought once were listed for my application, right alongside the short-wire version.

Comment

I've actually seen both listed for Mark VII's as well, never looked up the stock replacement sensor. I actually screwed up when I bought mine. I got them for the 88 Mark the motor came from. The plugs are of course different on the 86. Handily the short harness between the main ECM harness and the O2 sensor harness is the same, so I got one from an 88, and now my car takes 88 sensors.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Like said before I just bought some bungs off the interwebz and welded them in shortly after the collector

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

So I can use mark sensors? Which year of sensors Im I going to need? Is there diffrent versions of them? Also I was going to insert the bungs too but look like there's no room for them on the mustang headers. Is there a certain place the o2 sensor should be? Does it have to be before or after the catalyst converter? Sorry I don't know about o2 sensors thanks for all your help!!!

Comment

Before the cat. I had mine in the header collector, right before where the pipe bolts on...
                sigpic

Comment

90 town car headers are a direct fit......not quite as good as mustang headers, but better than cast iron logs

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The bung is easiest to install below the header, on the pipe between the collector and the catalytic converter.

88 Mark VII sensors will work for an 88 Vic, or use the long wire sensors for the 88 Vic. Same thing, just the wires are longer. Most Ford oxygen sensors are identical, other than the length of the wires and the connector at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMike View Post
                      So I can use mark sensors?
                      Best bet is to start by asking for your year and model, and see if your local store has the long-pigtail version listed.

Comment

Working...
                      X