Transmission Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Leak

Hey guys, I am having a problem with my 91 Colony Park. I started the car yesterday and drove about 300 yards before losing power in drive. Sure enough, the transmission was gushing ATF. The leak appears to have begun after I backed out of my driveway and placed the car in drive. Since getting the car home, I have removed the inspection cover and verified that the leak originates inside of the bellhousing. At this point, I am assuming that the torque converter seal or pump seal failed. Does this sound about right? Has anyone ever had this happen? Unfortunately, I do not have a safe place to drop a transmission right now so it looks like I will have to take the car into a shop. What should I expect? Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Well, if you're extremely lucky, the drain plug for the torque converter fell out. More likely though, the front pump seal blew out, or the pump failed. If you've got the inspection cover off, crank the motor around with a breaker bar and locate the drain plug for the converter. You should see it through the flexplate right next to one of the studs that attaches the converter to the flex plate. Verify its still there and tight.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you for your response. I have checked the drain plug on the torque converter. Some threads on the plug are visible, but it is also tight enough that attempting to turn the plug spins the torque converter/flexplate. I have started the car briefly with the inspection cover off. Once I cranked the drain plug around to the inspection cover again, I could see that the area around the drain plug was dry. However, fluid was flowing down the lower half of the bellhousing towards the front of the car. Have you ever heard of a pump seal suddenly blowing out?
      Last edited by A Smith; 09-07-2009, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Yep.

Just to be sure, are you positive you didn't engage 'drive' at 4500 rpm?

Comment

Working...
        X