No announcement yet.

What Engine Should I go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For crying out loud, you don't want a 460 unless you plan on building some sort of 600-plus-horsepower (NA) super-stomper. It weighs over 700 pounds and nothing bolts up without modification. A stock-block 351 is fine for 400hp or more, which is all you can really make use of on the street.

Assuming you'll be building up the whole motor, a 351 won't cost that much more than a 302. With a pre-'94 block there will be a little more expense involved if you want to run a roller cam, and there are some concerns if you want it to be fuel-injected, but that's most of the concerns other than the 100-200 pounds extra weight. Later factory 5.0 cylinder heads (the "GT40" and "GT40-P") come already drilled for 1/2" head bolts, too. A 4-barrel carbureted 351 can be cheap, powerful, reliable, and easy to build.

Throwing the usual HO upgrade parts at your current (injected?) 5.0 will probably be by far the cheapest and easiest, and it'll give you a nice power boost. Heck, I've ended up putting low-mile rebuilt 302s in two different cars that came with 351s just because they're danged convenient, albeit these cars have used AFB carburetion instead of fuel injection. For a some more oomph than the regular HO build, Thumper Performance in Florida sells nice ported heads for under a grand shipped.
    Last edited by 1987cp; 09-14-2009, 03:42 PM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

When I was young I used the lopo, and built from there... Still have the record for the fastest/quickest lopo, and the same motor with an HO conversion still is one of the fastest EFI 302's out there.... Mild 302 in my 4400lb wagon ran 15.02.... which IIRC is the fastest efi 302 on this site...And that motor doesn't even put out 300hp
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by ss_mini14 View Post
        i'd stick with the 302 block and build it to 331, i think it would be cheaper than a 351 if you do it yourself. then if you want more go with a positive displacement supercharger. tat's my plan anyway...someday
        Stroker kits are usually more expensive than just using a junkyard 351 with the stock rotating assembly.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Titanius Anglesmith View Post
          When I was young I used the lopo, and built from there... Still have the record for the fastest/quickest lopo, and the same motor with an HO conversion still is one of the fastest EFI 302's out there.... Mild 302 in my 4400lb wagon ran 15.02.... which IIRC is the fastest efi 302 on this site...And that motor doesn't even put out 300hp
          That's because you were cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Stroker kits are usually more expensive than just using a junkyard 351 with the stock rotating assembly.
            Ah, but then you don't have the distinction of having spent way too much on a smaller engine that's going to break under a sustained 450hp anyway!
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

well, okay then, i didnt think it would cause this much argument. The twin turbos would be fun! Im probably going to make it look better first, and just get the exhaust for it. I dont know how extreme im going to go with it it, but ill just get the necesities and restoring whats going to stay with the car, and then see where it leaves me
              Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
              New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Working...
              X