What's wrong with this big boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with this big boat?

My gf has a 89 grand marquis and she said that it smelled very strong like antifreeze, smoke was pouring out the vents. She also says a "yellow" fluid was coming out from under the glove box area. I think it was probably green but thats what she said. What could possibly be wrong.

Her heater core has developed some ventilation holes. You'll need to replace it, or have it replaced, which is either a lot of fun or very expensive, respectively. If you're located near Scott, he can do the job for you for a much more reasonable price than virtually anyone else. There's actually an ongoing thread about this going on around here someplace, but for the life of me I can't find it right now. Search "heater core" and you'll find a lot of information about doing the job.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Yeps, it's the heater core alrigt, and due to the design of these cars it's quite the bear to tackle on your own - don't take me wrong, it's perfectly doable, only it takes a very long time, so plan on a weekend. And yes, Nate is right, we just a heater core job for one of the other GMN members here.

Comment

yep i just did that in my 87 mgm but mine wasnt pouring out , hope you have 6/7 hours of free time , or about 500/600 dollars. not fun and if you have atc its worse
        sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
        87 mercury grand marquis
        88 crown vic lx
        89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
        89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
        00 ford crown vic lx hpp
        03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

yep the old heater core let go.......typical after 20 years of reliable use

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yay heater cores....i'm waiting for mine to die....i bet replacing it will be a blast.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

how much of the dash does one have to pull apart, anyway?
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

You gotta pull the whole dash, but for the most part it does come out as one piece...

Comment

i just replaced the heater core on my 83 non-atc, and i didn't have to pull the whole dash, just had to pull it back a few inches and get creative with the maneuvering of the box... actually ended up being quite simple for me...
                  88 CVPI - 5.0, lsc headers, punched cats, Cherry Bomb glasspacks, transgo shift kit, 3rd gen police console, 3rd gen push bar, KC Daylighters, wagon rear springs, soon to be 3.55 posi rear, all police antennas and spotlight, 216k on orignal motor, trans, and rear.
                  90 Festiva - 1.6 dohc turbo pushing 15 psi, full coil overs, 6 puck clutch. Daily whip that shits and gets. 30 mpg!

Comment

The dash doesn't have to come out, you just unbolt it and lay it back. Its not hard exactly, just time consuming and frustrating. Its especially annoying when you look at the job on a box and compare it to say a late 70s Tbird. Those had like 6 screws that held a plate under the hood. Pull plate, pull core, swap, put the plate back on.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah dad's 89 ranger has like 4 bolts holding a plate in and it comes right out as well... hell i just unbolted the passengers side of the dash and pulled it back just enough to wrangle the box out... getting ready to do it soon to my 90 gmq as well just to be on the safe side and prevent that from ruining the carpet etc...
                      88 CVPI - 5.0, lsc headers, punched cats, Cherry Bomb glasspacks, transgo shift kit, 3rd gen police console, 3rd gen push bar, KC Daylighters, wagon rear springs, soon to be 3.55 posi rear, all police antennas and spotlight, 216k on orignal motor, trans, and rear.
                      90 Festiva - 1.6 dohc turbo pushing 15 psi, full coil overs, 6 puck clutch. Daily whip that shits and gets. 30 mpg!

Comment

unbolt the dash from the frame,make sure to drop the steering wheel and dont forget the wee bolt in the back by the firewall i just got done doing mine
                        have pics somehwere on here
                        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                        X