Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

67 ltd hard starts, put in D and motor dies

hey fellas,

...... this is strange.... i start car it dies right away......

i pump the gas pedal to start the car. it cranks over and starts but cant keep idle. i have to put pressure on the gas pedal to keep it from dying. i even have to keep pressure on the gas pedal when i shift into Drive. what sucks more is that i have to add pressure when i drive away so that the car wont die. the thing is, is when the car warms up it idles perfect. i can sit at a stop light all day and have it run idle great.

what is more confusing is when i drive this sexy boat for a while and park it. i give it a few hours and can start it right back up with no problem. it runs idles and drives good. these problems occur on cold/hot days and on flat land.

after i adjusted the points i got great results. the 67 started up great! now that i put a fancy air cleaner the car starts badly.

what do you guys might think this might be?!

leo
    sigpic
    67 Ltd tudor
    67 Ltd 4door
    85 Ltd 4door

the choke is not working
    not sure if the 67 is a thermostatic choke or an electric choke.....would need some pics of the carb

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

its an electronic choke. where might this choke be on the carb?! is it on the passenger side of carb?! that circle thing?! i will take pictures as soon as i can.

thanks scott mang
      sigpic
      67 Ltd tudor
      67 Ltd 4door
      85 Ltd 4door

Comment

round hockey puck thing. Make sure the wires are hooked up for one, but it sounds like either the thing is adjusted way wrong, or the spring is broken and not pulling the choke and high idle cam into action. See if the parts move freely when you manually move the linkage. There should be a little arm that comes off the hockey puck with a linkage of some sort that pulls the choke flap shut and makes the idle cam drop into position. If its gummed up, clean the linkages off with carb cleaner.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

great, i know where and what your talking about. yes the little arm, the flapper stays open and wont shut. i'll check the wires and spring after work. + pictures.

thanks!
          sigpic
          67 Ltd tudor
          67 Ltd 4door
          85 Ltd 4door

Comment

the wires feed power to the heater, which opens the choke up. If its not closing at all, either the spring is broken inside the choke coil, or the thing has been spun all the way to "lean" and it can't pull the choke shut. Could be someone spun it to lean because the heater is bad and won't open the choke too.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pictures of the carberator

Attached Files
              sigpic
              67 Ltd tudor
              67 Ltd 4door
              85 Ltd 4door

Comment

Attached Files
                sigpic
                67 Ltd tudor
                67 Ltd 4door
                85 Ltd 4door

Comment

now that i pulled the choke off i dont think its an electronic one. there are no wires connected to it. that sonofabitch owner before me lied to me...
                  wait a minute.. but there isnt a choke pull in the cabin of the car.
                  sigpic
                  67 Ltd tudor
                  67 Ltd 4door
                  85 Ltd 4door

Comment

That's a thermal choke. See that metal piece below the plastic knob? one of the heater hoses is supposed to be hooked on that, and as the hose heats up, the choke opens. I think.

Not sure what that metal tube is though. Where does the other end of it go?

Comment

You're on the right track, pollock, but some of the details are a bit off. It is indeed a thermal choke, but the heater hoses aren't related. The tube should go down to a "choke stove" on the exhaust manifold, and the heat is transmitted through the tube up to the choke, causing the bimetal spring to move, thereby opening the choke.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

i see, so the metal tube actually does something... damn.. it broke off the manifold but its still attached to the choke. as for the rubber tube?! i know it also attaches to the exhaust manifold but it too broke off.
                        my problem: is that the choke stays open when i start the car... i tried to adjust it today when the motor was cold. i adjusted the choke to close the flapper: the motor cranked but didnt start. i re-adjusted it to what it orginally was. the only way to start the car was to put about 3 sprays of engine starter fluid down the carb. the car started great but when i put it in D it quickly died. i started the car again and got it to run i slammed the shifter in D while adding a large amount of pressure to the gas pedal. The engine was reving high, i let some pressure off the pedal b/c the tranny wouldn't kick into D with the engine reving too high. when i let some pressure go the car kicked into gear and i took off! car drove perfect, idled like a dream. passed up plenty of cars on the freeway.
                        i went to a mechanic and he says everything sounds good and was very impressed with the cheepie fomoco carb. i told him my situation and he says he'll have to check it with the engine cold tomaro. he says the same thing, "THE CHOKE" might be the culprit.

im concerned that the old tranny is getting beat up with the high rev sudden take offs...
                        sigpic
                        67 Ltd tudor
                        67 Ltd 4door
                        85 Ltd 4door

Comment

Some Fords also had a clip on the choke where the heater hose ran. Its still a heat choke, but for whatever reason some had both the exhaust and coolant heat sources.

The rubber hose probably goes to the air cleaner. Usually there is a thermostat valve in the air cleaner that opens and shuts the flap at the end. What that does is switch from warmed air off the exhaust manifold to cold air through the duct. Since many cars have no remaining stove on the manifold, and no duct to the fender it does absolutely nothing useful. If yours is in that state or if you don't have a stock air cleaner, just cap the hose off so its not a vacuum leak.

Sounds like you need to fix your choke setup and probably rebuild the carb. Sometime have a look down the throat of the carb while you work the throttle lever with the engine not running. If you don't see a stream of fuel squirting in the carb as you open the throttle, then the accelerator pump isn't working and thats another reason it won't start. The lack of high idle is the choke not working though.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Sounds like you need to fix your choke setup and probably rebuild the carb. Sometime have a look down the throat of the carb while you work the throttle lever with the engine not running. If you don't see a stream of fuel squirting in the carb as you open the throttle, then the accelerator pump isn't working and thats another reason it won't start. The lack of high idle is the choke not working though.

yes i see fuel squirting into the carb as soon as i open the throttle with the engine off. there is alot play with the flapper. when i move the throttle to wot the flapper doesnt move. when i adjusted the choke to shut (rich) instead of lean. the flapper only moves slightly when the throttle is wot. but the flapper is closed... so i adjusted it to lean and the car barely starts and almost runs.
                            i agree, the carb might have something to do with it b/c when the throttle is pressed it should move the flapper too. i remember the carb doing this. hmmm
                            thanks for your imput mangs!

- i know.... i know.... never slamm the shifter into drive when the ol girls is reving high...... i feel like a jerk everytime i do this....
                            sigpic
                            67 Ltd tudor
                            67 Ltd 4door
                            85 Ltd 4door

Comment

i found this information regarding the engine dying when i shift in D. im not sure if this pertains to my situation.

the line from the brake booster to the transmission is connected and doesn't have any leaks or anything? If it's power brakes and auto it will do that same thing. Idle just fine but the minute you put it in gear it will die instantly. Possible the booster itself has a leak even. If you have to, remove it and plug one end and blow in it to be sure there isn't a leak you aren't seeing in it. Also the little peice of hose that connects the metal tube to the modulator on the tranny could be worn out and just basically sitting there and appear to be connected.

could this be another reason why my idle and take offs are shitty too?!

:err:
                              sigpic
                              67 Ltd tudor
                              67 Ltd 4door
                              85 Ltd 4door

Comment

Working...
                              X