Remove A/C belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove A/C belt?

My A/C doesn't work, and my smog pump isn't necessary so can I just remove the belt without any negative effects? I'd keep the pumps in place, and not cap anything off for now, just take the belt off. I'm hearing squeaking coming from under the hood and it's getting louder as it gets colder outside.
    "It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."
    -Father Dennis O'Brien, USMC

It's very possible the belt is just worn. Either way, I drove my car that way for two years when the compressor seized without any problems.
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Yeah, I hate to do half ass jobs but I'm broke right now and I figured this would be the solution for the time being. Will this free up any HP?
      "It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Comment

Not really, think of them as just two freewheeling pulleys. Neither will affect engine performance. If you're hearing belt squeak, I'm willing to bet it's your alternator belt. Since that's the one that normally squeaks when it's cold out, due to extra loads from the accessories. Check for proper tension and belt condition mang.

Comment

mine was doing the exact same thing, then one winter day it was like a civic with some extra power snuck in when i wasn't looking and was doing a burnout under my hood. turns out my ac compressor seized and the seal burned right up.

I'm taking all my A/C and smog pump stuff out to lighten it up, make some space, and lose the drag on the belt. a rough rule is losing 10 lbs is like adding a HP so theres maybe 5hp equivelant in the end with lost weight and no drag.
          Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
          HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

snip snip
            Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

my ac doesnt work and my smog is disconnected, got really annoyed with the air sucking sound/whine ...so i just cut my belt off. car runs better actually so yup you can ditch the belt with no issue.
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I cut mine off yesterday.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I read in another thread that the smog pump might have something to do with providing vacuum to the EGR valve. Is this true?

Comment

I thought it was vacuum for the cruise control under heavy load?
                    Former panther owner
                    1981 CV 351 4bbl
                    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

its for the cruise. It does not have anything to do with the EGR system at all. The control solenoids do share a vacuum line from the manifold but thats it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        its for the cruise. It does not have anything to do with the EGR system at all. The control solenoids do share a vacuum line from the manifold but thats it.
                        Hm? Last I remember, the air pumps do not intersect with any portion of the vacuum system, except for the one or two control valves that draw manifold vacuum from elsewhere.
                        Last edited by 1987cp; 12-06-2009, 07:50 PM.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

the control solenoids on the fender connect to the vacuum system. The pump itself does not.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just wanted to clarify. Your post sounded to me like you were saying the smog pump provided vacuum to the speed control system. Good to know that neither of us are crazier than I previously thought.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I have had a chronic loud squeal from under the hood of the CV since I got it; especially during a cold start. I changed the alt belt twice only to find out a few months ago that the belt that runs off of the crank for the smog pump and A/C (mine is no longer there) is worn. Upon closer inspection I realized that the belt was one rib too narrow for the pulley. The previous owner must have substituted another belt to make up for the lack of A/C. I don't want to cut the old belt off and replace it because I don't know how I would adjust the new belt with only a smog pump in place (no bracket to loosen and tighten the belt). I found replacement idler pulleys for A/C delete cars, but where the idler pulley would go (in place of the compressor?), I found that the bolts had been snapped off. One of the many sins done unto this car by the previous owner.

Back on topic: if your state doesn't require a smog pump, can it, and get rid of that annoying squeak. I wish I could.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X