No announcement yet.

Remove A/C belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing that since my car doesn't need to have cats, it doesn't need the smog pump either. Hopefully, anyway
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Are there any electrics that need to be disconnected after you take off the belt?
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

that NEED to? No.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

i only wish i could just take off my smog pump and cats ..but they have to "visually" be there to pass inspection... cant wait till next year highflow cats are in the works....
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
            i only wish i could just take off my smog pump and cats ..but they have to "visually" be there to pass inspection... cant wait till next year highflow cats are in the works....
            I know right? I just want the smog pump gone just to get some crap out from under the hood, but nope, needs to be there.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I actually haven't checked into the legality of removing the smog pump but the mechanics I asked said it wouldn't fail inspection at their garage if it was gone. I know the cats aren't required for '90 and under. If my car were a year newer I'd need to leave them on
              sigpic

Comment

Will taking electrics out stop it from throwing codes? I can't remember which they were, but I was getting codes from having it inactive, I think. Not lighting up the idiot light, so it doesn't really matter I guess
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  Just wanted to clarify. Your post sounded to me like you were saying the smog pump provided vacuum to the speed control system. Good to know that neither of us are crazier than I previously thought.
                  It does connect to the cruise control to provide vacuum to the cruise servo under low manifold vac conditions. It doesn't connect to the manifold vacuum tree. There is a tee and a couple of check valves to make that all work. There are also the control solenoids for the thermactor air valves, and those do connect to manifold vacuum.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 12-12-2009, 04:11 AM.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                    Will taking electrics out stop it from throwing codes? I can't remember which they were, but I was getting codes from having it inactive, I think. Not lighting up the idiot light, so it doesn't really matter I guess
                    no, it will just add more codes. No smog pump gives a 44 and a 94. No solenoids gives 44, 94, 82, and 81. If you unplug the egr solenoid you'll also get 83 and maybe a couple others. No CEL from just having the control solenoids plugged in but not doing anything. I don't know if it will come on if you unplug the things or not.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool, thanks. These computers are "interesting" beasts.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X