Cutting Smog Pump Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Smog Pump Belt

Among the "Oh No's" done to my mom's '86 CV, one of the previous owners of the car butchered the A/C removal. The bolts that hold in the A/C compressor were snapped off. To remedy this problem he/she/they jammed a K050365 belt for the smog pump and crank pulley. I don't know how or if the smog pump can be adjusted to remove the belt. It's fairly tight. Can I cut the belt off and not run the smog pump until I figure out (or simply not be lazy and drill out the snapped bolts) what to do? Will the deletion of the smog pump mess with the computer? The constant squeaking is killing me!

Packman

To quote gadget73
    "the smog pump is worthless garbage, you don't need it"

....I've been running without mine for months now.
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Kinda need this stuff in Jersey. Full emissions testing for cars back to '82, unless you know the right people. We got this thing passed last June, so I got 1-1/2 years to figure it out. Perhaps I'll get lucky and have enough funds for a motor swap. I guess the solution to a bad belt is to change the engine.

Packman

Comment

Is the tension adjuster assembly gone as well?
        Former panther owner
        1981 CV 351 4bbl
        1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

I believe so. It's just the smog pump and the crank pulley. I think the belt that was substituted is off of a '70s truck. Two teeth too narrow, plus my father has one in the basement and he has only had two Fords in the past, a '73 F-350 and the '53 F-250.

Packman

Comment

Mine runs great without it and has for a month or so now...don't know what to say about emissions testing though
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
              I believe so. It's just the smog pump and the crank pulley.
              Well here is a pic showing what your missing. (from when I replaced my waterpump)
              If you have enough bolts/studs intact you should be able to get enough support to put this back on there.

Attached Files
              Former panther owner
              1981 CV 351 4bbl
              1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Cool pic! I didn't know there was a pulley right above the smog pump. Yeah that's definitely long gone.

Unfortunately these are the only pics that I have for that side of the engine. All that's left of the A/C assembly is the aluminum bracket. Perhaps all I need to do is remove all of the accessories on that side and clean the broken bolts somehow and the bracket might slide off? Then I would still have the problem of having to drill (reem I think) the bolts out to get the idler pulley back in place.

Edit: Now that I have a larger image to work with; you can see two of the three broken bolts in the bottom pic. It looks like that is where the idler pulley used to be (I'm assuming because of the long slot to the bottom right of the broken bolts). Oh an you can also see where he/she/they twisted the tubing off of the A/C lines. I had to file them down and cover them with electrical tape to avoid cutting myself when working on the car.

Packman
                Last edited by packman; 12-28-2009, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I live in NJ. I have not had a smog pump on my car in about 5 years now. It passes just fine through the standard state inspection lanes. It passed with an engine that had oval cylinders, 120 psi per cylinder compression, leakage in the 40% range, and the timing chain a tooth retarded. NJ inspection is not that stringent.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 12-29-2009, 12:27 AM.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is there much holding the ac gear and smog pump on? What tools should I have handy before atempting removal?
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Yea, don't worry about NJ inspections. Those people work there for a reason, lol. I pass everytime and they never say a thing. I have the capped tubes coming off the two new style cats which replaced the 4 cat setup. My car even passed consistently over a period of 10 years with a screwed up drivers seatbelt. The only things I do despise are people who let my damn door swing open like assholes, and those who can't master closing a globebox w/o slamming it.
                      sigpic
                      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                        Is there much holding the ac gear and smog pump on? What tools should I have handy before atempting removal?
                        metric and standard sockets and wrenches. Only a handful of bolts. I forget the exact sizes but its nothing weird. Just be careful to remove only the nuts on the water pump where the brackets attach. If it starts to pull the whole stud out of the pump, stop. Also, do not purposely remove the water pump bolts or you'll have problems.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks again gadget. I got a monstrous socket set for Xmas with about every metric and standard size I've ever seen, with a few different kind of spark plug sockets & extensions etc...sounds like a good project to break them in. How many vac lines do you figure will need to be plugged? I don't want to start this unless I've got everything I need (plus a little bit more) within reach...no other car to get me to the parts store if I'm short
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm going to attempt to get some of the a/c garbage out of the engine bay today...should i expect anything other than capping/plugging vac hoses and loosening some bolts? Will coolant explode out of anything?

I don't have any charge left in my a/c system, it's empty as shit, so I don't need to worry about that.

I'm not removing the smog pump today, I don't want to touch the water pump right now.
                            Last edited by 1990LTD; 07-24-2010, 01:14 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'd cap/plug the lines on the condenser and evaporator unless you plan on pulling those out as well. You'll also probably need to tape up the connector for the AC clutch and pressure sensor/switch that's on the dryer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X