World Products Windsor Jr. heads??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Products Windsor Jr. heads??

I'm considering doing a head swap on the 351W in my 54 project. I don't really want or need aluminum heads. It's not a race car so I don't need anything wild. And I don't have the cash for buying new heads so I'll be picking up a used pair.

I've been seeing some Windsor jr. heads pop up pretty cheap. They have slightly larger valves then the stock heads and 58cc combustion chambers. So they will flow better and also give me a small bump in compression.

I'm not going to do anything to the shortblock besides a new gaskets, seals, timing set and maybe a cam.

So any opinion on the Windsor Jr. heads?
    Last edited by Fordman75; 12-28-2009, 02:55 AM.

If you must go iron, pick the windsor SR. or Dart iron eagle. The windsor Jr.'s actually flow a tad less than gt40p's.

Comment

The problem with the Windsor Sr. heads is the 64cc combustion chambers. I'd really like to bump up the compression a little without milling the heads or swapping pistons.

I'd love to run the Iron Eagles but they are too expensive for my budget. I'm looking to spend $450 or less for a pair. I also wasn't sure on the piston to valve clearance with the 2.02" intake valves on the Sr's or Iron Eagles.

I also need the heads to use a standard header. So that rules out the GT40P's. If they would even work in the first place( not sure on the head bolts ) .

The vehicle this is for is going to be 6,000+ pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordman75 View Post
        The vehicle this is for is going to be 6,000+ pounds.
        And your point is? GM uses 260cc heads in factory 2500 series truck applications that idle smooth and pull houses.

If you're dead set on the windsor jr's then go with it, they aren't worse than stock but they aren't the greatest either. You get what you pay for, but if you only have $450 to work with then do what you gotta do.

Comment

It's not a terrible set of heads to use for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw440 View Post
            And your point is? GM uses 260cc heads in factory 2500 series truck applications that idle smooth and pull houses.

If you're dead set on the windsor jr's then go with it, they aren't worse than stock but they aren't the greatest either. You get what you pay for, but if you only have $450 to work with then do what you gotta do.

My point was just that this is going to be a pretty mild engine going in a quite heavy vehicle so I didn't want someone to suggest an all out racing head that would kill the low end torque. I don't think either of the heads you suggested would do that. That's why I put that statement at the bottom and separated it from the rest of my response.

I'm trying to build a complete vehicle on a budget that sucks. No big bank account, no sponsors, just nickle and dimeing it until it's finished. Hell I don't even have a garage big enough to fit a complete vehicle in ( unless it's in pieces ).

I'm not dead set on anything. Anyone that knows me can tell you even when I'm dead set on something I'm not dead set on it! I change my mind every other minute. Hell I might just port my crappy stock heads some and have a good valve job done and call it good. Who the hell knows.

I'm open to suggestions that why I asked. Thanks.

Comment

Uh oh, I smell a "low end torque" debate coming up ......

I personally don't like the idea of an aftermarket head that's inferior to crappy factory stuff. I do have a pair of F3ZE heads that just need a spark plug hole fixed, though they may not be cost-effective to deal on unless we can rope Nathan into shuttling them into MN.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Fordman75 View Post
                My point was just that this is going to be a pretty mild engine going in a quite heavy vehicle so I didn't want someone to suggest an all out racing head that would kill the low end torque.

Sir, there is not one windsor head for under $3000 that will even be remotely capable of "killing low end torque" on a 3.5" stroke with a proper combination, sorry.

If the windsor jr's are the best that's available in your price range, then by all means get them.
                Last edited by Outlaw440; 12-28-2009, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw440 View Post
                  Sir, there is not one windsor head for under $3000 that will even be remotely capable of "killing low end torque" on a 3.5" stroke with a proper combination, sorry.

If the windsor jr's are the best that's available in your price range, then by all means get them.
                  so...is what you are saying about "low-end torque and a large head" is that i should jump on these windsor SR. heads complete with valves,springs,retainers for $350.00? i'm a bit concerned with low end performance.
                  [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

GM uses a 260cc head from the factory on 2500 series trucks, tahoes, escalades, you know, where torque is needed. They port the hell out of those heads to bring them up into 270-275cc territory which is about as far as they can go without disrupting the cooling passages, and they gain tq and horsepower, oh my, how did that happen?

So how could a 180cc head lose low end torque ????? With the right cam/intake combo to go along with it, torque will be improved, not lost. And in fact, the cam will typically not have to be as 'wild' or 'noisey' when you improve the induction (heads/intake) to move the same amount of air. Bigger heads = less restriction = more airflow + = more tq and horsepower.

Comment

Now thats constructive sarcasm! I would have also accepted "Yes dumbass, buy them". I like what you did there....thanks mang.
                      [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

Yay! A 'Head' war!

Comment

Working...
                        X