1987 5.0 started burning oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 5.0 started burning oil

Hello, I've got a 1987 cv with the 5.0 that has started burning oil somewhat suddenly. It seems like a month ago it wasn't burning any or very little. Now I see blue smoke out the rear view mirror. What happened?

Probably Valve guide seals... Mine did that... I WAS going to just replace them but then a few of the lifters started making noise in it when you first started it up in the morning (cold)... Then they would "pump up" and be fine the rest of the day... Decided to just go with the new engine... Would have been my luck I would have spent the money for the lifters / seals, then "spin" a bearing! (I had almost 200,00 miles on the old engine)

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

sudden oil burn sounds suspect though. Valve seals and guides tend to wear over time, not go from nothing to blue smoke in a month. I'd probably be checking the PCV components, looking for obvious leaks, and doing a compression test if nothing else explains it. If you had an oil leak at the back of the intake and it was blowing back onto the exhaust, it might show as smoke from the rear. That will also dump a *lot* of oil out. My car used to lose a quart every 200 miles from a failed lower intake gasket.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am losing about that much...

Comment

well, have a look behind the intake then. If its swimming in oil, you have your answer.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X