Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0L stock compression pressure in psi?

Hello everyone
    Can anybody point me in the right direction for this info?

I'm looking for the compression pressure as a 'pounds per square inch' value as it would have been from the factory (instead of a ratio figure) so I can compare it to my readings. I need to know just how bad things are in my engine! :smirk:

Is it
    Or is it

thanks
    1984 Mercury Grand Marquis 5.0 LS on propane. All season daily driver since 2008

125 psi or better with all the plugs out and the throttle wide open is generally fine. More is better. You want to see all cylinders within 10% from lowest to highest cylinder.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's great, just what I was after. Thanks :o)
      It's not looking good for my box then! :smirk:
      1984 Mercury Grand Marquis 5.0 LS on propane. All season daily driver since 2008

Comment

The old engine in my 1991 was 150 psi straight across the board. It had some lifters tapping on cold start up tho, and I was afraid of the possibility of "spinning" a bearing, since it had a little over 200,000 miles on it.. and three of my friends had that excact thing happen on their policecars this last summer... (one was a 383 Plymouth, a 440 dodge, and a 302 Ford...) All restored Policecars... And since I go to Chicago every year for the Chicagoland Emergency Vehicle carshow.. I didn't want to chance the engine going bad 1000 miles from home! So it now had a nice new pristine looking 5.0. H.O. in it!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
        Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

150 psi you have no problems with the cylinders. bottom end on a lopo at 200k is a legit concern though. The firing order likes to take out the bearings.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thats excactly why I decided to change it out.. I guess the rings etc. were becuase of the 2500 mile oil changes all it's life... (Easier to keep up with, with the odometer) I figured that if the lifters were getting weak, it was time for a new engine...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
            Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Working...
            X