Question about MAF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about MAF

Ok, so basically this may be a stupid question but is it worth it to convert ot MAF when I do the HO swap, I mean ill have the engine apart and access to everything so if Im going to have to install sensors or what not itl be easier. Not really sure what it intails or if its worth it.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Just depends on what your going to do with it, if you plan on future upgrades like a cam or something do it. But if not just leave it speed density. I however always recomend going mass air if you have the chance. It costs a little bit more, but its an easy install only took me about a half hour to wire mine into the ecu.

mass air = flexibility for the future
    speed density = hates anything but stock

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

I am putting a new cam in with the HO swap, so I think ill just do it, What do I need to do so?
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

no need to run maf if you are using a ho cam......use a 88-92 mk7 ecm and your cruise will still work

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you want to do it you would need a mass air computer from a 5.0 mustang. (100 dollars or so) as well as a mass air meter that coincidences with the injectors you are going to use.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ok Im not sure what the cam is actually, it came with the car and Ive got some spec sheet pics in my readers ride page, could someone help me out with that? Cause I was told it would work, but don't want to chance anything. If itl work without MAF then Ill just leave well enough alone.
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Link to your RR in your sig. Makes it easier for us to jump to it.
              2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
              1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
              1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

doing a mass air swap is actually not any easier with the engine apart vs together. I'd really try to find out what exactly that cam is rather than rely on someone saying "oh this here cam'll work jus fine".
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah Thats what Im trying to figure out.
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                  X