Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

weird whining sound..power steering pump taking a crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weird whining sound..power steering pump taking a crap?

Ok, I noticed this noise yesterday when I started the car, a strange high pitched whining, I immediately checked the steering fluid level and noticed it was low like to the point of sucking in air..I refilled it and noise has not left, the pitch of the whining changes when I give the car gas, it gets high pitched..the pitch of the noise however does not change when I turn the wheel nor has the steering become any harder.....the noise goes away after about 15mph+ ...did air get in my steering pump? is that possible? is it about to give out? I made sure it wasnt a belt rubbing anywhere..video will follow later today when I get out of work.

4thPanther..03 MGM LS
    previous panthers: 87 MGM, 85 CV 2 DOOR, 89 MGM.

if it got too low, u got air in the system.....it might go away.....is the fliud all dark and nasty? if it is suck some out with a turkey baster, and fill it up with fresh type f trans fluid....repeat, also find the source of the leak

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

the air will work itself out eventually. a few lock to lock cycles on the wheel may help. second the thought of flushing and replacing the fluid. you can drain more out if you disconnect the return line, but be prepared to replace the return line. usually its hard as a rock, and you'll want to slice it off the PS pump rather than trying to save it. more likely you'll snap the nipple off before the hose lets go.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well its been bout 2 days and the noise is still there, I have heard the advice bout changing the fluid, I'll try the turkey baster idea first, start off simple..thanks mengs

4thPanther..03 MGM LS

Comment

so weirdest thing happened, I parked the car backwards on the warehouse ramp at work, in other words car was on a decline, engine lower than rear end, left it there for about an hour and a half, started the car and noise was gone, maybe the air in the pump came out due to the angle in which it was parked? either way no more noise

4thPanther..03 MGM LS

Comment

I have the exact same issue you describe. I don't recall it making the noise before I replaced my power steering pump (whish WAS making horrible noise in the cold - and changed when you would turn the wheels.) But it could have been, and I didn't notice.

I think it's the transmission. Some have said on here it's just a normal noise for some of our cars and not to worry about it. It doesn't do it in park, reverse or neutral, and goes away above 15 or so MPH. It does not change sound when you turn the wheels. It definately sounds like a higher-pitched spinning/whining noise. It's annoying if nothing else, but I've checked the trans fluid- it's fine, and the car shifts great otherwise. I've re-checked the power steering pump also, nothing out of the ordinary there either.

Bottom line, something is wearing out, since the car doesn't come from the factory making this noise. It's just not really worth persuing.
            sigpic
            1988 Grand Marquis LS (White Lightning), 2003 Mercury Marauder (SOLD),1979 Mercury Cougar XR-7
            http://landyachts.homestead.com/page5.html,1951 Merc on a '88 Lincoln Town Car Chassis:http://landyachts.homestead.com/index.html

Comment

IDK...I was under the impression that all AODs make a whine in first gear. When it shifts out of first, the whine goes away. I know mine does this, and always has, as long as I can remember....so that would be like when my car was three or four years old, since we had it when I was growing up.
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                IDK...I was under the impression that all AODs make a whine in first gear. When it shifts out of first, the whine goes away. I know mine does this, and always has, as long as I can remember....so that would be like when my car was three or four years old, since we had it when I was growing up.
                My bastard block 92 didn't really whine at all. My box on the other hand whines like a bitch till it shifts out of first.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

yeah mine is the same way. I had a n00b ask if the car was turboed when I floored it in first. Shift into second and it's gone.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

mine is silent. *shrugs shoulder*
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah my car doesnt sound like it has a turbo at all, thats lame cause Id tell everyone it did.
                      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

the guy who said it was a tard. It's not nearly that loud, but there's a real turbine sound.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

My moms starter sounds like a turbo, haha, also when you step on it to rev it up its got some weird whistling sound. I just assume its to add more HP. On a side note and sorry if this is off topic, My friend has a Volkswagen golf, he had a NOS switch on the shifter but it didnt work and there were no nos cans, well he decided to follow the wire, wich led to a speaker under the hood that mad NOS sounds, the wire was disconnected so it didnt work. Hooked it up to see what it did, and upon finding out it made NOS sounds promptly ripped it out. I would have kept it to be a jackass.
                          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                            The other AOD's I've had never sounded like this one...the AOD by design does whine a bit as you run it thought the gears normally, especially at low speeds...but this whine I think some of us are talking about is in addition to that 'normal' whine you normally hear in the trans. The 'normal' whine you are thinking of for AODs will only begin once the vehicle is moving, increases in pitch until it shifts into the next gear. You don't hear it standing still no matter what gear you are in (P, D, R, N).

This noise, while possibly not harmful, is not normal. If the car was making this noise from the factory, people would have taken it back in for service, it doesn't sound 'right'. It almost makes the car sound like it has a gear drive instead of the timing chain, but not quite THAT loud.

This whine we are talking about is there, while standing still, in D, with your foot on the brake. It is almost more of a buzzing whine. It will increase in pitch as you give it gas, even standing still. It goes away if you shift it into neutral or reverse. If you put the car in D and try to do a brake torque, it is there. If you shift the car into reverse and do a brake torque, it is not there.
                            Last edited by mercman1951; 01-27-2010, 11:46 AM.
                            sigpic
                            1988 Grand Marquis LS (White Lightning), 2003 Mercury Marauder (SOLD),1979 Mercury Cougar XR-7
                            http://landyachts.homestead.com/page5.html,1951 Merc on a '88 Lincoln Town Car Chassis:http://landyachts.homestead.com/index.html

Comment

I know what noise you're talking about. I think its a check valve rattling in it's bore or something, but I don't know for sure. Mine does it occasionally. I just ignore it. Its done it since the trans was rebuilt. It works perfectly otherwise.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X