Water leak upper intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water leak upper intake

Are there any engine diagrams anywhere online? I have a water leak near the back of the intake area. That's all I can tell until I disassemble things. I know that water goes through the EGR side of the intake, (driver's side), this is on the passenger side. I must have burst a small hose, as when I mashed on the gas to pass someone, smoke came out from under the hood. It doesn't seem to be the heater hoses. The water is running around the edge of the valve cover, then onto the exh manifold, hence the smoke. Are there any diagrams that will help me know where to look before I start tearing it down? Thanks!
    1991 Grand Marquis--all stock
    1969 F-100--stock
    1966 Mustang...5.0L/AOD
    Vintage Ford lawn tractor

The lower intake (are they on the hard pipe?) has two small fittings to feed and return the EGR coolant. On that note there is also a metal line bolted to the intake and one of the hoses at the back may have ruptured. Basically, you have a few options. Just let it idle up to temp then shake each hose until one sprays.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

On my Mustang 5.0L, the EGR cooling does come from a hard pipe that runs along the lower intake, passenger side. On the Merc, the EGR is on the driver's side, so I didn't think it was that, but I'll check it out. It feels like it may be from the underside of the upper intake, but I don't know why water would be up there.
      1969 F-100--stock
      1966 Mustang...5.0L/AOD

Comment

It sprayed up is all.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

check the coolant hose to the egr on the back of the intake......i've personally have had those blow (in a snowstorm at 1 am in the middle of nowhere) theres a fitting on the back of the lower intake, the hose prob blew near the clamp

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks Lincolnmania. I'll check it out.
            1969 F-100--stock
            1966 Mustang...5.0L/AOD

Comment

what he said. one end goes to the back corner of the lower intake, the other one loops around to the hard pipe.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay, got the intake off. Hoses are fine, it is a crack in the 'water supply tube.' The little nipple on the hard pipe that feeds the EGR has a 1/8 hairline crack that leaks when any pressure is applied to the water system. I can't seem to find the hard pipe online anywhere at all. I did find it on a Mustang parts site, but the pipes aren't totally the same. Will JB Weld work on this? Thanks.
                1969 F-100--stock
                1966 Mustang...5.0L/AOD

Comment

not sure if jb weld will hold......worth a shot
                  i have some used tubes here if you cant fix that one

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you can braze it, that would be ideal. Should work, provided the metal isn't so rusted that the brazing tip melts it away.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was hesitant about the JB weld. Tried it today, will test it tomorrow. Yes, I'll take a tube. Let me know price/shipping. I live in ZIP code 30281.
                      1969 F-100--stock
                      1966 Mustang...5.0L/AOD

Comment

Working...
                      X