i want to flush my heater core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i want to flush my heater core

i got an 89 lincoln town car. total noob so ill need the the tools ill need and step by step of how to do it.

moved to the appropriate forum.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Tools:
      5/16" nut driver
      Garden hose
      Water spray nozzle.
      Water source.

Undo both heater hoses from engine side.
      Place one hose so its discharge doesn't soak engine, or feet.
      Turn on water to garden hose.
      Shove spray nozzle into hose if it fits, otherwise seal tight with your hand.
      Activate hose. Run water for as long as you like.
      Swap hoses, and repeat.
      Reinstall heater hoses.
      Top up coolant level as required.
      Turn off water spigot.
      Roll up hose.
      =-)

Alex.

Comment

That's how I did it.
        89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
          Tools:
          5/16" nut driver
          Garden hose
          Water spray nozzle.
          Water source.

Swap hoses, and repeat.
          Reinstall heater hoses.
          Turn off water spigot.
          Roll up hose.
          =-)

Alex.
          Just out of curiosity could the pressure from the hose blow anything out or harm the heater core? Im talking about if it has a squeeze type nozzle or if you should just place the end of the garden hose without the nozzle in the pipe to flush it.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

hey

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
            Just out of curiosity could the pressure from the hose blow anything out or harm the heater core? Im talking about if it has a squeeze type nozzle or if you should just place the end of the garden hose without the nozzle in the pipe to flush it.
            dude i just use the hose without a nozzle make sure u do it in both directions back and forth till u see no debris come out.
            My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

hey you should go to the store buy some coolant flush then run the flush through your whole system then then flush both sides the heater core side and the engine side through the heater hoses. when u do the engine side run the engine.
              My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

same pressure with or without the nozzle. With both pipes unblocked, it probably won't matter much, though I'd probably only suggest doing this if you have poor heat and as a last ditch effort before replacing the core. If its massively clogged up with crap, dislodging it may cause it to spring a leak. If the heat is working fine, I'd probably leave well enough alone.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah I was just curious my heat cranks, Sometimes it is way too hot. especially if its like 30+ out.
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I use a nozzle, because I don't want to fight with running water. If anything ends up blowing, it was meant to blow.

Alex.

Comment

true, but considering how many people balk at the idea of replacing the core I figured I'd put a warning in there. I've done mine twice now. It sucks, but its not the end of the world. The second time I pulled the air box out totally and rebuilt it with new hinges. That kind of sucked, but now everything works perfectly so it was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                        Tools:
                        5/16" nut driver
                        Garden hose
                        Water spray nozzle.
                        Water source.

Swap hoses, and repeat.
                        Reinstall heater hoses.
                        Turn off water spigot.
                        Roll up hose.
                        =-)

Alex.
                        i did this but i also used the heater hoses still attached to the heater core and suspended them from the hood and filled the core with CLR and let it sit for an hour or so then flushed it out both ways with a garden hose. fixed my lack of heat problem. im gonna do it again this summer to make sure i got all the crap out

Comment

Working...
                        X