Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailpipe position and outlet shape . . any effects on flow/performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailpipe position and outlet shape . . any effects on flow/performance?

Ok, let me start with what I hope is the simpler one.... location of exit.

Is there any advantage to having the tailpipes, instead of exiting at the rear, going out on the sides behind the rear wheels? Are there any drawbacks?

What about AHEAD of the rear wheels? Am I correct in assuming it's still legal? I know it avoids the hassle of going over the axle, but are there any other benefits? Drawbacks?

Now, tailpipe shape. I've seen some cars with square, oval, twin pipes, etc., and then there's the sort of musket/trumpet type of tailpipe (think the old Oldsmobile 442s for example). Does this offer any benefit, or does all this dealing with the shape of the exit come down to nothing more than gimmickry?

Finally, there's the strait round exit (vertical) versus the exit shaved at an angle - any real difference, or no?
    1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
    Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
    Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
    Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

tips are all gimics, as long as its the same size or bigger than your exhuast pipe is all thier is to that. I ran my duals to 2 turndowns right before the rear axle just shooting straight down and it sounds throaty and deeper than tailpipes and probly snags a few hp not having to go over the axle and all the bends in tailpipes. shorter the pipe means more good sound and, not much, but a few more horsies if you skip tails.
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

legality of tips exiting before the rear wheels varies from state to state.

As for the performance advantages of exiting before the wheels, not much. You MIGHT have a small gain from not having the exhaust all kinked up over the rear axle, but it'll be minimal. At 180mph, nascars get a small gain from the vacuum of air rushing past the pipes sucking the exhaust out, but that's about it.

dumping in front of the rear wheels is usually for looks or simplicity/price.

Tailpipe shape does nothing. The only noticeable difference is that a very large-diameter tailpipe will lower the tone and increase the volume of the exhaust note. downturned pipes might be a bit quieter than straight-out. As for straight cut or or "trumpeted" or whatever, you won't notice anything.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

not much advantage. Possibly a very slight flow improvement dumping ahead of the wheels, but I doubt its enough to notice in practice.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Biggest advantage is going to be up front, some headers, and h or x pipe, and knock out a few of the 4 cats and that will open her up before offsets or tailpipes have a chance to think about effecting anything.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

yeh going from stock to 2.5" duals, flowmasters, and turndowns before the axle didn't feel like much hp gain. but when i just did headers, h-pipe, 2 hi-flow cats and upperintake/tb and other stuff as far as airflow goes their was a big difference in power for only $250, then the $200 cat back duals help but catback alone doesn't do a whole lot other than sound no matter what you put on.
            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Question: where are your biggest restrictions in your current exhaust setup? The answer to that will tell you what areas to start fussing over first.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Oh, heck, for me, the biggest restriction is that it's a SINGLE exhaust! lol

But really, I was just wondering about the various tailpipe strategies. I always figured that they were most likely just aesthetics (though I didn't know how flow was affected with the trumpet/musket style - if I thought anything might've had an affect, that would've been the one I guessed at).

I figured that since I'd likely be putting duals in sometime in the relatively near future, I should think about where the outlets should be, and what they should be shaped like, IF they have an affect.

Since the consensus is that it won't affect things noticeably, I'm not going to worry about it.
                1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
                Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
                Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
                Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

It's definitely a regional thing as far as legality goes. Some guys on here can get away with side exits, I asked around, but found them to be illegal on passenger cars around here. Same with running it without a muffler...our laws are: if it came with it, it's gotta have it to pass inspection
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Resonated tips actually make a difference.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

The biggest decision to make for tailpipe exit, and I wish it hadn't slipped my mind when I had my exhaust done, but if you back into parking spaces and live where it snows, a side exhaust won't get smashed into snow banks.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                        The biggest decision to make for tailpipe exit, and I wish it hadn't slipped my mind when I had my exhaust done, but if you back into parking spaces and live where it snows, a side exhaust won't get smashed into snow banks.

Alex.
                        True, but it can also be susceptible to other types of damage. Not that everyone will do like I did and inadvertently drive across a parking barrier that some idiot had installed across a parking entrance, but still something to consider.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

When I had My exhaust done they actually suggested side exits, but I wanted the classic "out the back" look. Sometimes I wish I had given it some more thought....because yes I do park backed up close to a snowbank.
                          Former panther owner
                          1981 CV 351 4bbl
                          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

I like mine tucked underneath, exiting just barely forward of the rear bumper. No tip damage to worry about. The Mark VII has small tips on the back, but they don't really stick out much.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine turn down before the bumper, but don't stick out enough to see them.
                              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X