Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailpipe position and outlet shape . . any effects on flow/performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if you can tell how far mine stick out at the back..a little bit further than the stock ones
    Attached Files
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
      Don't know if you can tell how far mine stick out at the back..a little bit further than the stock ones
      Yea, those also seem a hint low, probably wouldn't last long with how I like to try and back up snowbanks...
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I'm with Gadget, I like tailpipes to exit in the stock location and to be all but invisible. I made tips for the 2.5" pipes I ran for a while that are virtually identical to his configuration.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by King_V View Post
          Oh, heck, for me, the biggest restriction is that it's a SINGLE exhaust! lol

But really, I was just wondering about the various tailpipe strategies. I always figured that they were most likely just aesthetics (though I didn't know how flow was affected with the trumpet/musket style - if I thought anything might've had an affect, that would've been the one I guessed at).

I figured that since I'd likely be putting duals in sometime in the relatively near future, I should think about where the outlets should be, and what they should be shaped like, IF they have an affect.

Since the consensus is that it won't affect things noticeably, I'm not going to worry about it.
          Hang on a moment....

You mentioned side exhaust. Typically, what side exhaust does is increase drone in the cabin, since it's right below the doors. One of my old customers had the dopey Roush side-exit exhaust kit on his '99 GT; it was rather annoying in that it was supposed to be quiet, but the reality of the situation was that you had to crank the radio to drown out the exhaust, and with as low as most Mustangs sit, it hit on everything.

During one of my 'couldn't make up my mind' phases on what powerplant to run in my T-bird, side-exit exhaust via' the '392Bird' method (guy who's on TCCOA.com who's built one absolutely-nasty 1993 Thunderbird with a 392 and a blower, and who I'm modeling some of my car to resemble) was something I was thinking about.
          He actually cut through the side of the body right behind the doors and routed the exhaust through there (the under-the-rear-seat fuel tank has been moved to behind the rear axle)....which should give an earful whenever it's opened up.

One other note on the side exhaust; I've looked into doing it with one of my wagons, but skipped it due to most mufflers exiting well behind the front of the tire, requiring a 'U' shape and 'L' shape bend, basically running it back up to the front for a few inches, and then 90 degrees to the side.....which doesn't really do any good for power production.

It looks cool, it sounds cool, but nyah.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2010, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
            One other note on the side exhaust; I've looked into doing it with one of my wagons, but skipped it due to most mufflers exiting well behind the front of the tire, requiring a 'U' shape and 'L' shape bend, basically running it back up to the front for a few inches, and then 90 degrees to the side.....which doesn't really do any good for power production.

It looks cool, it sounds cool, but nyah.

Uh-huh ... the configuration you describe can be made to look/work pretty nice. Somewhere I have some pics of the '87 wagon with the nice side-exit configuration installed; with low-profile rectangular tips, the exhaust was all but invisible from the side. The U-bends I got from JCWhitney fit great from side-to-side with offset/center mufflers after a little (in?)judicious trimming of nearby protrusions ... didn't work well with offset/offset mufflers, though.

A somewhat better option would appear to be these guys:

This guy "93_Marquis" ended up with a similar arrangement cosmetically to what I achieved using the U-and-L configuration described above.

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
            X