Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Question...

Just a general question here...

I have a small inline electric fuel pump that provides gas at 5 psi to a small bore Rochester 2 Jet.

I have the pump running, and the carb off the intake (don't want fuel running down in the engine). If I open the throttle there is a nice steady stream of gas for a few seconds... and then it stops. Shouldn't the stream continue as long as I have the throttle open?

If I close the throttle, and then re-open it, I get the stream again, and then it stops.

Same deal with part throttle, just a smaller stream.

Is that right? Or is there some other issue?

This seems to be a noob question, I know. Its just that it would seem to me that the fuel flow should be continuous at WOT.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

That stream is the accl pump and is working right. There shouldn't be gas continually out vacuum sucking it out.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

Yep, what he said. All you're seeing is the accelerator pump shot.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

yeah, accel pump action.If you had fuel running steady down the carb, there would be something wrong with it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good, good.

Thanks guys.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Remove the needle from the needle-and-seat; that'll ensure a steady stream of fuel running somewhere .....
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

This thread makes me wonder what mechanical fuel injection looks like up close.

If you ever get fuel running down and it's not the accel pump, check your float bowls. I had one extremely miscalibrated out of the box on my Eddy 1406.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                This thread makes me wonder what mechanical fuel injection looks like up close.
                A high-pressure pump that feeds fuel to each injector though a separate line, the injectors are spring-loaded inside so the needles don't move until the line pressure gets high enough. If you link up the throttle lever of the high-pressure pump with the throttle body butter flies you can maintain your air-fuel ratio, throw in an aneroid somewhere on the pump too so it can account for heavy-load low-vacuum conditions... Simple in theory, I'd imagine it's a bitch to calibrate every thing tho.

Comment

Working...
                X