What gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What gears

Does anyone know what gears would let me still have somewhat good mpg and a nice ride on the highway but make my HO (when swaps done) work a little bit harder. I was told 3.53, but I do not claim to know anything about this, also how would one go about compensating for this in the speedo?
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

I have 3.55's and drive about 75/25 highway/city. My mpg actually didn't change at all with them (19-23), if anything I think it went up. I used the purple 21 tooth speedo gear, but my speedo reads 5mph slow.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I have 4.30's and love them. I think there perfect for a H.O. but they may be a little much for your average person.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

I see this has spawned into it's own thread. I couldn't imagine anything more than 3.73's on a daily driver. Call me crazy, but I like my cars idling along at 55.
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
          I see this has spawned into it's own thread. I couldn't imagine anything more than 3.73's on a daily driver. Call me crazy, but I like my cars idling along at 55.
          The gripe I have with whatever is stock now is that 55 is right on the edge of shifting, So If I hit a hill its 60+ or like 45... And NH is full of those darn hills, this is more aggravating running along back country roads where the speed limit is 40-45 because Its constantly bouncing back and fourth. I don't know if that made any sense.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

the K code rear seems to be a favorite around here.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
              The gripe I have with whatever is stock now is that 55 is right on the edge of shifting, So If I hit a hill its 60+ or like 45... And NH is full of those darn hills, this is more aggravating running along back country roads where the speed limit is 40-45 because Its constantly bouncing back and fourth. I don't know if that made any sense.
              Probably have 3.08's. If I where you, I'd go with 3.55's or 3.73's. Everyone seems to be happy with those gears.

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
              the K code rear seems to be a favorite around here.
              Yep, K-code FTW!

Comment

I really want to put a K code in mine and get rid of the 3.08 but finding one is troublesome. Finding a 3.55 rear end is one thing but finding one from a Panther..
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Can't you just get the gears and swap em out? Maybe im being and idiot or something but I thought it was the same thing as me putting the eaton LSD in that they make for an 8.8 inch rear end.
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

you can install any gears you'd like in the current rear, but you have to set it up properly. Its not quite a bolt-in operation. The pinion depth needs to be correct, and the gear shimming must be correct otherwise the contact pattern is all wrong. Best case, it whines. Worst case, the gears chew themselves to bits.

Same thing with changing the carrier, though thats usually more of a checking operation than anything else. The pinion doesn't come out when you swap the carrier, but the ring gear could possibly be moved slightly side to side depending on manufacturing tolerances on the carrier. It may be bang on, but it might need a couple shims moved around.

3.55 or 3.73 is a good HO gear. The stock motors do OK with a 3.27 or a 3.55 since the torque peak is at a lower rpm. For sustained long distance flat highway speed cruising at 65+, 2.73 or a 3.08 on a stock motor really kicks ass. They're horrible climbing hills though. Basically there is no "perfect gear" for everyone. It depends on how and where you drive, along with the motor in front of it.
                    Last edited by gadget73; 01-31-2010, 05:43 PM.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok thats what I thought, I would have a shop do the swap because I don't really know much about the rear end, and don't want to screw shit up.. I knew it was more than just bolt-in. Thanks.
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        For sustained long distance flat highway speed cruising at 65+, 2.73 or a 3.08 on a stock motor really kicks ass. They're horrible climbing hills though.
                        +100000000

Highways I do great with my 3.08's but during Scottfest 09 those hilly climbs were kicking my cars ass. The car was working so hard I was on the verge of overheating according to my water temp gauges.....

on another note...those hills kicked my ass with braking as well...pedals felt like mush.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          +100000000

Highways I do great with my 3.08's but during Scottfest 09 those hilly climbs were kicking my cars ass. The car was working so hard I was on the verge of overheating according to my water temp gauges.....

on another note...those hills kicked my ass with braking as well...pedals felt like mush.
                          NH is full of hills wich sucks balls, But my car never even hits the middle of the temp gauge. The brakes usually develop a nice odor though.
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

with 3.08's (what I had) it's not worth goin up to anything less than 3.73 in my opinion. 3.73's are still very streetable for a DD and give you some more noticible punch. Thiers a guy that offers rebuilt 8 clutch LSD's on e-bay for close to $100 that does a good job, I have been using his and it works great and he's a straight up guy to. And snag a good shape real ford 3.73 set of gears and timken bearings or another good qualitly bearing and seal kit and get a good shop to put them in. labour runs around $250-350 range.
                            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Both my parents work for timken! That labor doesn't seem to bad either. Thanks.
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X