Help with camshaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with camshaft?

Ok so I have this cam and the spec sheet to go with it, you can view pics of both here.

Scroll down to the bottom portion. Sorry I didn't want to re post all those again, I know I'm lazy. Anyway my question is first, what is it, second will it work for an HO swap with the new ECU? Im going to be running gt40p heads with comp cam springs as well. Any info much appreciated.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

And what are you planning on putting that into? That's a fair amount of .050 duration you've got there.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

My 302 after the HO swap, I was told it would work in the 302, It came with the car so its not something I went out and purchased. I was also wondering if it would permit the new firing order (That of a 351) when the HO swap is complete and I have a new ECU.
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Looks like an F303 with more duration..

Comment

Would that work? Im sorry I know nothing about what will work with what or what f303 means. All I know is what duration is and what valve lift is and how the camshaft actually functions. Just don't know what changes what if that makes sense.
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

An F303 is one of the Ford Racing "letter" cams. Probably pretty rough idle, might pull OK but I suspect it will be soggy on the bottom end. With the non-relieved pistons in your motor, it may crash the valves into the pistons, and that would suck. It also won't run worth crap with speed density, so no Mark VII computer for you. Mass air would be required. It would probably run well in the higher RPM range, but you need low rpm torque to get a heavy car moving. Its got a lot of exhaust duration, which would favor heads with crappy exhaust ports.
            Last edited by gadget73; 02-01-2010, 01:50 AM.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw440 View Post
              Looks like an F303 with more duration..
              This would not be a good thing, I'm thinking. Is there anything that really performs well with any of the "Letter" cams?

Comment

Alright I Need to know now what you guys recommend for the right cam, I don't want to lose a bunch of torque and im going to be running gt40p heads with comp cam springs, told they are good for .60 lift. Also who would be interested in this cam because I obviously do not need it.
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

The "right" cam will be determined by any number of factors, not the least of which are: How much power do you need? What RPMs do you want to spin? What gears and torque converter will you be running? Are you willing to spend time tuning your ECM, or do you want something you can stick in and have some factory calibration be "good enough"? If you plan on running the springs currently on the heads, make sure of their exact part number and make sure it's suitable for not only the cam you're considering but also the RPM range you want to use.

Gadget reports good results with a stock Exploder cam, and used factory cams can usually be had for cheap. Could also always consider a stock Mustang cam, since it's a semi-OK piece and can be had for between dirt cheap and free.

Why don't you try tossing that cam up on Corral.net? Guys there seem to love cams of about that size. I tried trolling there for a while for a used Comp XE258HR, but most of the guys there seem to think that's too small to be used for, well, anything. Curiously, if reports at SBFtech.com are to be believed, it seems a lot of Corral chaps keep making bad component decisions (i.e. small heads / big cam) and swapping cams and/or intakes every month or two, easily exceeding what they would have spent for good heads and a custom cam that works. :shrugs:
                  Last edited by 1987cp; 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Ok thanks, Im not sure what rpms I should be at honestly, Im thinking 3.55 or 3.73 gears in the rear after all is said and done, then there is the heads as listed above. I just don't want to break shit, I also have no problem tuning an ecm or swapping to MAF, As long as its something you guys think I could handle.
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

My standard answers are always an HO cam or the Explorer cam if you want to keep speed density. There are some SD friendly cams, but I know nothing of them. Its entirely possible one of those would suit you well, but I have no experience. I'd really love to try a Comp Cams XE258 in something, just because it looks like it would be a hell of a torquer cam, but I have no clue if it would work out with lopo pistons that have no valve reliefs. I can tell you that HO motors with P heads and a stock HO stick perform well.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alright, Looks like for the sake of simplicity Ill get to getting an HO cam that is in good shape.. Thanks.
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          My standard answers are always an HO cam or the Explorer cam if you want to keep speed density. There are some SD friendly cams, but I know nothing of them. Its entirely possible one of those would suit you well, but I have no experience. I'd really love to try a Comp Cams XE258 in something, just because it looks like it would be a hell of a torquer cam, but I have no clue if it would work out with lopo pistons that have no valve reliefs. I can tell you that HO motors with P heads and a stock HO stick perform well.
                          From what I've read more recently about PTV clearance, namely that duration is a bigger concern than lift because the "danger zone" is only for just a very few degrees of revolution, during which (if I understood correctly) the cam isn't at max lift on either lobe anyway, it sounds like the XE258HR shouldn't be a big concern because the duration is 208/216 at .050, and I have that with my crappy Crane cam, albeit with four-eyebrow pistons from SpeedPro. True, lowpo pistons have no valve reliefs, but being designed with dishes and for low static compression, I'd be a little surprised if they're needed.

Ideally, of course, any non-stock cam installation should include a PTV check with clay, plasticene, cream cheese, chewing gum, plumber's putty, or whatever suitable material you have handy.

Comment

Duration is indeed a much bigger factor in the 'will it smash things to bits' equation than anything else. Its easy enough to check with the clay but I just don't know of anyone who has made that measurement on a lopo motor with gt40 heads. Its probably fine, but I wouldn't stake a motor on some guy I've never met on the internet saying its probably OK.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              I wouldn't stake a motor on some guy I've never met on the internet saying its probably OK.

Absolutely.

Comment

Working...
                              X