Two Question Related to Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Question Related to Brakes

Please move this thread if I have posted incorrectly.

I have been going over the vehicle inch by inch and listening to every sound it makes at different speeds. After a great deal of research I am writing for support on:

Possible Power Booster Issue
    a) Hissing sound when apply brakes
    b) Idle speed changes/varies, when at a light and in park
    c) Some engine hesitation when driving, basically power fades when AOD should be shifting
    Note: The brake light switch was changed recently and picture shows some rust coming from boot.

Question: Is this just a case of suck it up and switch PB & MC out?

Emergency Brake is Hand Released Yet Vacuum Line Exists
    1) There is a hard white vacuum line running from can by Emergency Brake to Half Moon shape on steering column.
    2) No hissing heard related to this.

Question: I have read a lot about the automatic releasing emergency brakes and this has me confused.

is it a steady sucking noise, or just a woosh when you hit the brakes? A woosh is normal, steady hissing is not. You can check the booster if you'd like with a vacuum pump. Just pull some vacuum on it and see if it holds. If it leaks, try replacing or re-sealing the grommet where the line connects to the booster first. I didn't have any luck getting a new grommet, but I was able to fix the leak with some black RTV around the white plastic check valve connection.

When the parking brake release thingy goes, it hisses from under the column, and it will change when you move the shift lever. If its not making hissing noises from the half moon thing, you're good to go.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The hissing noise is constant and begins as soon as brake peddle is pushed.

I will do the vacuum test tonight. The RTV approach is on the list of solutions to try.

Emergency brake does not release when put into Drive or Overdrive. I am just surprised to see the vacuum line to the can which is tied into manual release.

Thanks!

Comment

that sounds like a booster failure then. When the diaphram rips, you get that noise. I'd do a master cyl and booster at the same time. Usually the parts store won't warranty a booster unless you do the master cyl at the same time.

If the parking brake doesn't release, then the valve on the shifter is bad. Might want to plug the smaller line off just to be sure its not leaking. Its supposed to release in reverse or any forward gear. Thats another bluehair option to keep people from cooking the brakes.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It appears the smaller is Black [Hard] however the White [Hard] connects with the can. Where do you suggest I plug it? This might explain the Code 34 which continues to haunt me.

Comment

unplug the hard line from the half moonie thing. Plug it where its convenient. I actually flipped the one-way check valve over on my car and used that to plug it. I don't know if all cars have that though. I have since caught the car on fire and permanently fused the plastic tube off at the firewall, but thats a discussion of failures for a different time.

Comment

Code 34 is refers to the EGR valve, specificially the EGR valve position sensor. The sensor detects the position of the valve and sends a signal back to the comp. It's the beige thing attached directly to the EGR valve. There's ways to test it and see whether it needs replacement, ect.

Here a list of codes for future reference. http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=46
              sigpic
              1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Thanks. I will clean the spare, test the resistance, and inspect the vacuum line. Inaddition to the PB & MC work.

Comment

Working...
                X