Want to start building an engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to start building an engine

I've sold a bunch of stuff taking up my garage realestate and I'm thinking of starting to gather parts to build a nice 302 for my 89 Marq.

I'll probably try to use a stock redone bottom end and build from there.

Would absolutely love 300 RWHP. Don't know how much this will involve. Just trying to toss some ideas around and see what I can do and what I can afford. Hell 300 at the crank would be a huge improvement I'm sure.

I'm thinking of getting one of those trick flow mustang kits.

Or maybe just getting a decent cam, and some AFR's.

Would love to go cheaper and get some iron heads if I could still get around the power numbers I want.

Of course I'm sure I'll have to get bigger injectors and an adjustable regulator among other things that are required to feed it.

This will be the first time I"ve built a motor if I even do it.

I was gonna get a foxbody mustang and sell the merc, but I figure it'd be cooler to have the only merc around here that can eat up fox body mustangs.

I have most of the mechanical knowledge but I have no idea how to match engine parts.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    '92 F-350 4x4: 7.3 idi, E4OD, 6" all spring Skyjacker lift, 16.5" Mickey Classic II's, 35" BFG's, Loc-Rite Up front, Trac Lock in rear.

'91 Lincoln Mark VII Bill Blass: don't know yet

How much cash do you have to work with. That should probably be the first question, otherwise the suggestions can get pretty exotic and kickass, but way expensive.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I'm not trying to go crazy, but I do want some power. I have a pull it yourself junkyard near me and anthing that's stock parts is VERY cheap for me. I can get explorer stuff real cheap like $20 a head and $15 for a cam. I can get a whole engine for $150.

How much power will the GT 40 P heads and a good cam get me?

I guess if I had a ballpark number it would be around 2000-2500 is what I'm looking to spend.

The car will most likely still be daily driven as well.

If I go with aluminum heads I can usually find a set cheap on craigslist.

I also know an engine builder that can port and polish or what ever I need for a good price.

Forgive all the rambling.
      '92 F-350 4x4: 7.3 idi, E4OD, 6" all spring Skyjacker lift, 16.5" Mickey Classic II's, 35" BFG's, Loc-Rite Up front, Trac Lock in rear.

Comment

MrLTD made 229 rwhp and 279 ftlb with stock GT40 heads and an XE264 cam on a 1996 Explorer motor and a tweecer if that answers your question. P heads should be good for a little more, ported P heads and a ported intake a little more yet.

Lincolnmania's car did 222 rwhp with a stock HO cam, ported E7 heads, and a ported stock lower intake on untuned speed density.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

222 with E7s? Man that sounds way better than most people think. Guys over on fordtruckworld HATE E7 heads.

Might just get a used Cobra intake and some of those GT40's. If I can find the heads in my local junkyard they'll only be $40-60.

19# injectors, adjustable pressure regulator and a milled out EGR spacer and I should be good right?

Comment

I made 225 rwhp & 320 rwtq with do8e heads. And with E7's it should be easier.
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

E7 heads aren't that spectacular. They're better than what we have, but they are far from the be-all end-all head casting,. They're not even the best stock casting Ford made by a long shot, though they do respond well with a good port job. Mustang and truck guys hate them because they're stock for those applications. We got something even worse, so the perspective is a little different. I can tell you from experience that an HO cam and ported P heads moves. Never did get dyno numbers on that car, but it hauled ass. stock GT40 Explorer engines with a wide ratio trans also really kick ass, or at least until the crappy valve springs give up.

Comment

Ive got some gt40p heads on the way, and an 86 HO cam for my motor, Im looking forward to finding out what she ends up with for rwhp.
                "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

E7's suck, but man E6's are just hideous. I don't even know how air can flow through them.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

believe it or not, the raw flow numbers I've seen show the E6 head flows damn near the same as the E7. Just goes to show that numbers don't tell the whole story.

Comment

Well I just found a set of GT40 p's and an explorer intake for $250. Might look into driving out to BFE and picking those up soon.

Gonna make a run to the junkyard first though, I can get it for way less there, I just have to pull it.

I also see the difference in perspective on the truck and mustang sites, lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X