Car won't start -suspected fuel filter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car won't start -suspected fuel filter.

So my car is sitting in the parking lot at work, and I'm at a friend's place nearby instead of at home. I hate this.

It wouldn't start. It's never ever even so much as hinted at this before. It's always fired right up.

When I went to start it, it behaved as it normally would. Radio turned on lights were working, fans were working, all that business. When I turned the key, the engine turned over like it normally would - with the only difference being it never started.

The car was not in any way behaving like it was an electrical problem, like there was a charge issue. The battery light was on, but... I'm pretty sure it's always turns on during startup. Someone else wanna check this out for me?

Anyway, because it was behaving normally, I don't think it's a charge. I'm not ruling it out though, because my alternator is original and is wearing 385,000 k's of use, and my battery is... two years old I think. It could be a charge issue, but because it's turning over fine, I doubt it.

I'm thinking more it's my fuel filter.

See, for the last six weeks or so, I can smell gas when I get out of the car. When I took it in for an oil change two weeks ago, they mentioned the fuel filter was leaking but I didn't have time to change it that day. Over the last week, the car's gas mileage has taken a very very distinct drop, indicating to me that the leak's getting worse.

Never a loss of power though. Is that normal?

I *was* going to change the fuel filter today, but I had to pick up a morning shift at work.

I'm thinking the issue is that the leak has caused some garbage from the road to seep in, freeze, disallowing my car from getting gas (I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the car 'on' so I know that's okay). See, when I drove in to work, the roads were awful and covered in snow. I'm thinking (hoping) that something has seeped in and froze.

I'm thinking I may return with a blow drier, warming it, and seeing if that'll be enough for me to start the thing and hobble around. If that doesn't work, I'll try jumping the battery - just in case.

My questions to you guys:

-How do I change the fuel filter? What should I watch out for? Most crucially, how can I depressurize the fuel system, given that I can't pull the fuel relay while it's running because I can't start it?

-Is there anything else I should be thinking about as to why the car may not be starting? It's come on suddenly, while the car was sitting, so... what else should I be thinking about? Maybe something that's somehow clogged or needs cleaning or frozen?

...I think that's all I can say/ask right now...

Thanks in advance guys.

Don't worry about depresurizing. Just don't be turning the key to try and start it and then begin changing the filter. Yes, fuel will squirt out, but if its been sitting a couple hours, there won't be all that much. [eye protection, don't be staring at it up close, etc.]

Two small bolts hold the fuel filter cover in place. Pop a couple clips from the fuel line, pull it free. Make sure your replacement filter has new clips with it. Install new filter, push in new clips, remount.

Fuel will drain from the lines, and it will dribble. Just don't pull out the old filter until you have the new one ready to go in.

Alex.

Comment

See if it has spark first. if no spark, probably the TFI crapped out. If it has spark, spray some starting fluid in the throttle body to see if it kicks off for a moment. If it does, its definitely a fuel problem.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Update.

So I've tried some starting fluid. Nothing at all, didn't even kick.

I checked the schrader valve, there's fuel in there for sure. I'm almost positive I've lost spark.

Is there anything it could be aside from the TFI module, and if it is the module, what can I do from here?

Comment

shitty, man. starter problem?
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

most likely to be the TFI, but possibly the coil or pickup in the distributor went bad. If its the module, just change it. Needs an inexpensive tool, and its held on with 2 screws. grey thing on the side of the distributor. you may have to rotate the distributor to get the tool in there. just mark the position before you move it, and put it back when you're done. Chisel makes a nice clean mark on the distributor base.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

how often/quickly do TFI modules shit the bed? I'm wondering if I shouldn't replace mine just because I never have and I do a fair amount of driving.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

How would I go about rotating the distributor, and what is this special tool?

My starter's fine, it doesn't howl and the engine's turning more than quick enough.

Um... How else can I check the coil? Where is it? ...should I look at replacing the distributor altogether?

This is really, really shitty. Fuck.

Thanks for the responses guys, its most appreciated.

Comment

i had one new module last 6 months, and i replaced it with a 20 year old original that still works fine, so basically they last anywhere from one day to 26 years.

To rotate the distributor, you loosen the clamp bolt at the base. I think its 1/2". The tool you need is the tfi removal tool. basically its a socket with a thumbwheel thing on it. most auto parts stores have them, usually for under 10 bucks. Module pulls straight down, not outward. Clean the distributor off, and use the thermal goop the new module comes with. If its clear, you want to replace that with actual thermal compound, probably available at any computer store.

You can replace the distributor, but they don't come with ignition modules. If you don't drop the distributor in the correct position, it will not start. I wouldn't jump to replacing it unless replacing the module does nothing.

coil should be located above the AC compressor, near the distributor. Follow the center lead on the distributor cap and it will take you to the coil. Its probably not the coil tho.

Comment

my bro bought a replacement dizzy for his town car and it came complete with TFI and all.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

You guys are the best.

We'll see what tomorrow holds.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornelius Van View Post
                        Anyway, because it was behaving normally, I don't think it's a charge. I'm not ruling it out though, because my alternator is original and is wearing 385,000 k's of use, and my battery is... two years old I think. It could be a charge issue, but because it's turning over fine, I doubt it.
                        You should consider replacing the alternator in the near future.
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Update:

So I finally found myself a TFI module.

I make my way to the car with my shiny new module, retrieve my socket wrench with a 1/2 socket on it, and crack the hood open with my torx head screwdriver kit in hand...

...when my friend says...

"Hey, before you do this, try starting it. Just humour me."

I figured okay, it can't hurt, and it'll put his mind at rest. So hop in the car, turn the key...

And it roars to life.

*sigh*

What grounds/connections should I be checking for oxidization?

Comment

all of them

I'm glad it started. Hopefully it keeps starting and you get this sorted out. Replacing the TFI thingamajigger sounds like a good idea all the same
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cornelius Van View Post
                              Update:

So I finally
                              ...when my friend says...

"Hey, before you do this, try starting it. Just humour me."

I figured okay, it can't hurt, and it'll put his mind at rest. So hop in the car, turn the key...

And it roars to life.

*sigh*
                              And yet another Ford makes its owner look like an ass in front of thier friends. LOL I would be throwing the new TFI on and keep the old one as a backup. I was packing one from an '88 2.3 Tempo in mine.
                              1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                              1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                              1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                              1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Working...
                              X