Got Some new Heads, I want to clean the carbon out of them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got Some new Heads, I want to clean the carbon out of them

I wanted to clean the carbon and make them clean before I put them on. Whats the best way to do it? Here is a pic of the valves with some of the carbon deposits on it. (if someone wants to delete other head feel free too since im not getting gt40s now lol)
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Why do those look like E6 combustion chambers?

I wouldn't use anything more agressive than mineral spirits and a brass brush in the combustion chambers. In the valve area, a plastic toothbrush with the mineral spirits should be all you need. Do not touch the machined surfaces on the head either or you may screw up the gasket sealing. If that needs to be cleaned, 400 grit sandpaper sprayed with a little wd40 on a wood block wide enough to go across the entire surface of the head will do the job very nicely. For the outer surfaces if you want to paint, use carb cleaner. I just wouldn't spray carb cleaner around the valves in case it reacts with the seals.
    Last edited by gadget73; 04-19-2010, 09:45 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

idk I havent looked at my e6 heads yet to tell you different (still on motor lol) but they are defently world Windsors stamped a right on head. Ok sounds easy enough for me to do. Any suggestions on storing them for a month wraping them in ceran wrap with wd40 hurd some people do that??
      sigpic
      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Don't clean them until you're ready to use them, then take them to your local head and block shop. Most shops will hot tank them in their caustic tanks for about $20/head.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Thanks fresh I got a shop right near me I ll go down there and talk to them.
          sigpic

Comment

Mine are stored in heavy trash bags, and soaked with wd40.

World Windsor heads use a high swirl chamber eh? Interesting. Looks a hell of a lot like the stock crappy head chamber design.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X