Ignition timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition timing

Ok, all the cars that I have and have had were electronically controlled. It’s time to get back to the basics. To set the timing on my 302, please refresh my memory. I unplug the vacuum hose from the distributor and cap it off on the engine side. Then use the timing gun to set it to specs. Is this right? Can anyone advise what to set it to? I have that Ford electronic spark with the little box on the wheel well. Thanks. ALSO, I plan on getting the Ford 302 version of the GM HEI. Will the procedure be the same?
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

IIRC, the stock timing on a 302 is 10* BTDC. Can't remember about the actual proceedure on a vac. feed dist. Been too long.

Jay
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Ha, same here bro. thanks for the specs.
      sigpic

Comment

unhook the vacuum advance and turn the distributor till the proper marks line up. Keep in mind that only sets the base timing. If you really want to get into this, you'll have to look at total timing, and the timing curve. Initial is only part of the puzzle when you're dealing with mechanically controlled ignition systems. Duraspark and HEI have approximately the same operational principals as far as messing with the timing curve. Basically you're messing with the springs to alter when the mechanical advance comes in. I don't know how HEI limits total mechanical advance but I assume there is some provision for doing that. Duraspark uses plates inside the distributor that can be changed.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

K thanks.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X