Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

better cooling? 3 core radiator for 1990 grand marq?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
    that is to say: I'm not sure just how bad the fan clutch is anyway, and it's still warming up on a hot day at 70mph, so if I'm considering replacing the radiator as it is I might as well upgrade. The three core should cool it much faster than the stock single core?
    Don't waffle. At $20, replace the fan clutch. Cheap insurance.

As long as it has the right thermostat (195*), it will take a while to warm up. Remember, at 70mph, you're forcing enough air through the radiator to cool the engine without the fan, so that's really not the issue. The issue is stop and go traffic on a hot day with the a/c running. Frankly, I've never had problems with the stock fan and the a/c on on a 100* day. It was right on the R. A 3 row may be overkill. What area of the country do you live in?

Yes, the radiator looking thing in front of the radiator is the a/c condenser.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I do have the 195F thermostat, and it takes maybe 5, 10 minutes to warm up. But once it does, it never seems to cool down again. Driving from Lexington, VA to Washington, DC at 70mph in 95F weather it was on the middle of the "A" the entire time, warming up to the "L" if I slowed to 50mph but very rarely going back to the "M."

Hence why I'm wondering about a 3-core radiator.

Comment

replace the fan clutch and get a good one, like a motorcraft part (YB-328), replace the thermostat and replace the radiator cap with a new 16lb cap.

then check for coolant leaks.

the factory cooling sytem with the single core radiator is capable of keeping things cool in extreme conditions, IF its operating correctly.

My 88 MGM, went through the New Mexico desert at 100+ degree heat witn NO problems on the single core radiator.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

It's been mentioned that maybe my fan clutch is bad, which should help in traffic and is a cheap and easy fix.
          It also does wonders at highway speed. Theory says you don't need it at highway speeds, reality says it makes a BIG difference.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
          X