stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stupid question

ok heres the deal, i like my car but it need more power to be able to shut my friend up, he refers to it as my grandpa car or my mob car.. some times i work for his uncle and he comes across good parts he had a 87 lsc h.o. 302 that we ended up putting in a 93 f-150 4x4.. and recently he came up with a 86 f-150 with a 5.8 351h.o. its just siting there. its carberated.. mine has the cheep fuel injection that looks like a carb.. and the lifters sound off when accelerating up hill
    my question..
    what needs to be done or changed or gathered to put the 351 in my 87 grand marquis? im prity sure the motor mounts will work and the motor will bolt up to my tranny but would it be better to use the tranny off the lsc ho? i belive its the over drive kinda like mine i plain to do disk rear and eventually the cop car brake up grade.. "plenty of state patrol cars neer me" in a wreaking yard with nice new breaks on em that are drilled and slotted front and rear.

ok i have a 85 grand marquis and im getten a 87 ford cv wagon eny thing i need from that it has a 302

Comment

actually that 351 HO is less impressive than a 5.0 HO EFI motor. I think the truck 351 is good for like 200 or 210 hp, the HO is 225. If you're gonna do a 351, you may as well build it a little bit, otherwise its barely worth the trouble of swapping it. A better cam and heads will do wonders for it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hmm how hard is it to swap to the h.o fuel injection from my carb looken fuel injection

Comment

Originally posted by 85merc View Post
          hmm how hard is it to swap to the h.o fuel injection from my carb looken fuel injection
          to answer your question somewhat, the carb looking fuel injection is known as CFI . there is a CFI to EFI conversion thread some where in here i think.
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

You would probly be better off getting a 351 from a newer truck 94-up I think. If you want a quick dirty combo that will be descent. Get the 94-up roller 351 find a cheap set of gt40 heads put some good springs on them, toss in a OTS cam of your choice. Some 1.7 roller rockers, a eddy performer carb intake, top it off with a 750 holley. And you will have a pretty good running engine for under 2k most likley if you bargan shop.

FYI I know the spelling and grammar are horrible, shut up.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

whats wrong with having a "mob car"?lol i tell lots of people im in the mob

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

i dont mind the mob car thing becouse i do have enuff room in my trunk for like 4 guys.. i am gunna pain it black and do some outher mods. but my buddy has gone to callen me Guido or vinny..lol so is it easyer to go to carb from my C.F.I. or to go to efi.?

Comment

Most likely easier to go carb from cfi than it is to convert cfi to efi.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

But far far more awesome to go CFI-EFI.
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

^^^ truth

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

well i came across a wagon with the efi and all the wireing i woyuld probly need its in the ford equivilent though should be same wireing harness.. douse eny one now if my front nose pise would fit the fenders and front of the ford car since i have a murcury marqis and its a ford crown vic wagon.. was thinken i like the nose of mine but the wagon has a towing pacage and dule egsost and efi and leather and 8 pass seating

Comment

Just a thought, since you seem to be thinking in a dozen-odd directions at once with largely undefined goals (just my impression) ... why not spend some time reading in our various tech sections, figure out what you need to ask questions about, and then make one thread per question?
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

lol thats part of my problem..lol i have read alot of them i like some and outhers give me ideas
                            ill figure it out i gess.. alot of opportunity's end up crossen my path.. and i look at like say your white wagon and pantera77 wagon and think i realy like the way they look.. but i have the sedan i would like more power the easyest way for now.. that relable. it is my daly driver.. but a 5.8 crossed my path and soon i will eather be parting out a 87 ford wagon or fixen it to sell its hard to chose.. so menny great things to be done.. wish i had the room i would just keep the wagon too
                            Last edited by 85merc; 08-11-2010, 06:48 AM.

Comment

lol

Well, improving on your stock 130hp CFI motor is the easy part!

A couple of things to consider:

Is your current engine in good mechanical condition? If so, you can gain some power by tossing parts at that instead of swapping. IIRC, Bowman85merc tossed stock GT40P heads and a 4V intake on an otherwise-stock lowpo CFI motor and had a bit of an improvement.

Do you have a budget and particular performance goals in mind? This can help keep money wastage to a minimum.

In addition to some of the advice you can gather here, I'd suggest reading in the "Grassroots" section at a site called SBFtech.com. Lots of guys there going quick for (relatively) cheap, and more there actually bother with track times, with I think less random misinformation than places like Corral.net. Some people get hung up on Mustangs generally being a bit lighter, but the engine doesn't care what it's installed in - several guys say, learn how to make torque, and make lots of it all over the RPM range, and then tailor it to what you want to do. Your goal at this point should probably be to learn a few different ways to make power and how to make use of it (gears, converter, shift RPM), and then see what you can accomplish with the resources you have.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X