lopo/ lowpo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lopo/ lowpo?

I've seen the acronym/slang used several times... what do lopo and lowpo mean or stand for?

thanks!
    -Bernard

low power
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Yup.... aka Low output, low performance = slow.

The 5.0 in the panther has swirl port emissions heads, cast flat top pistons with a ever so slight dish in the top, a peanut cam, small upper intake with a undersized throttle body, 14lb injectors, restrictive exhaust manifolds and a detuned EEC.

With all of this, the 1986-1991 "lopo" 5.0 makes a whopping 150hp, which is actually 20hp lower than a 80's Chevy 305 TBI (Kinda like CFI but flows slightly better) engine that makes 170hp, but less torque at a lower RPM range.

However with enough work, the 5.0 makes the 305 look downright wimpy unless you are dealing with a Tuned Port Injection 305, then that's a different story... I've seen them make over 300hp with simple mods.

It's strange how stuff in the 80's worked. There were V6 engines in the 80's that make just as much or better power than their V8 counterparts.
      '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
      Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
      CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

Comment

Proper terminology would be SO for Standard Output versus HO for High Output.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Low 'Pofomance'

Comment

lopo

it means youll be doing this :crocktears: if you try to race any one!
            My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HATNINJA View Post
              it means youll be doing this :crocktears: if you try to race any one!
              Nonsense! Fireflys and gremlins don't know what hit 'em!
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Ahh, I'm pretty sure I have the Lopo; I have no reason to think otherwise-- did wagons ever come with the high output? And what WAS the high output horsepower?

Hey! With the low end torque, I can get onto the freeway as fast as anyone, and can go 70mph all day long. Could I do 120? I have no idea....

Oh, I was asking about axle/differential ratios earlier on another thread, and courtesy GoodSamaritan I found this:
                Open/Lock/Ratio #
                Y / Z / 3.08

When I looked on the door, under "AX" I saw only a single Y. Does that mean a 3.08 axle ratio? Was I supposed to have seen a Z somewhere, what does Lock mean?

But yeah... will start researching, locating parts, and forming a wishlist for some basic performance modifications to do in the spring after saving up for a few months. What kind of horsepower can I get my 302 lopo up to for a $1000-$1500 budget?

Comment

that means Y = open differential, Z = locker (or limited slip) differential and the 3.08 is your rear axle ratio.

no box panthers came with HO 5.0.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                    Could I do 120?
                    According to the cop who ticketed me in 2003...

yes.
                    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

hehe

Originally posted by Freshmeat View Post
                      According to the cop who ticketed me in 2003...

yes.
                      i bet it wasnt uphill!
                      My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

now, will my gas mileage drop automatically with a stronger engine, or will it only drop if and because I'm taking advantage of a stronger engine to accelerate harder and go faster?

Comment

it will drop due to the lead foot syndrome... if you granny it, you will probably get a little better mileage.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

hey i dont know much about axle codes i just looked at mine on the door and under ax theres just an 8?
                            My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

It is technically more correct to use the terminology/nomenclature "NoPo" when describing a CV/GM 302....:p

Comment

Working...
                              X