Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

warm engine surge?

Hello,

when the car is cold it starts and runs smooth. When I drive it and park for a few minutes (running into a store and back out...5 mins) , the car starts.. surges about three times and then smooths out. The surge will be about a 500 rpm swing. If it is severe enough it will surge once and then stall the motor. It always starts back up fine, but will do the surge and then smooth out.

At this point the car runs very good once it smooths out and drives down the road just fine.

There is no warning lights lit on the dash or anything. I've found a few posts talking about engine surge , but none that really laid out what to look for.

Any Ideas?

Thank you
    Mike J.
    1990 Country Squire LX .... Rolling around 220k miles Man is she Sweet to me.
    1976 Lincoln Continental .... 55k miles and loaded with Smiles !!!
    1990 LTD Crown Victoria Wagon .... "Fresh" project

A parking lot \ barn full of Non-GMN related vehicles.

Try cleaning the IAC valve. IAC = idle air control

It's located on the back of your throttle body facing the firewall, and it regulates how much air gets past the throttle blade when you're not giving it any gas; they get pretty gummed up with carbon after many years of faithful service.

If you clean it, make sure you clean out the throttle body as well, since it will just get dirty that much quicker if you don't. Replace the gasket between the IAC and throttle body if need be

No guarantee that this is the problem but it's a start. Probably wouldn't hurt to clean (I use Seafoam, YMMV) the intake and inside of the throttle body/throttle blade as well
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 08-31-2010, 01:05 PM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

in regards to cleaning the egr valve, what is the best way? i recall s/o told me only to spray carb cleaner on 1 part??

also there is a sensor or valve or s/t which plugs into the engine- directly beneath upper manifold on the drivers side.- its right near the altenator.. -- what is that and how should it be cleaned.

Comment

sounds like its switching from closed loop to open loop and getting wonky when it does so. You should not be able to tell when it does this if things are working right. How old are those oxygen sensors? If they are giving strange readings, it might make the ECM panic with a sudden and incorrect fuel mix adjustment.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X