motor was swapped out not sure what it is now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    Actually there is no 'police chip' either, the earlier reference to one was a joke.
    Some police boxes got carb'ed 351's, but they only had 20-30 more HP than the 5.0.
    just to add to this, you'd know if it was a 351W from a police (or some Canadian) Crown Vic

they look like this:

Very different look from the EFI's found in 86 and later crown vics.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

HOWEVER I am slowly losing antifreeze, about 1 inch every 4-5 days. I cannot see any leaks and the performance does not suffer.
      You may want to have the cooling system pressure tested. You may discover your leak.

I just went through this with my Dad's 89 and after changing everything in the cooling system but the heater core, we finally figured out that one of the head bolts on the drivers side had broken and blew the headgasket. The only way we found it is when it overhead once, then the HG started to leak. That and the spark plugs around those 2 cylinders were a bit white. Never even got any sweet smelling exhaust or the white cloud as you typically see when a HG lets go. No warning, ran jsut fine, just mysterious loss of coolant and then the overheat, which was probably what pushed the HG over the edge. A new set of ARP head bolts and HG's and it's running fine.

Just something to think about.

Jay
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

also check the oil. it should NOT look like a chocolate milkshake. If it does... your coolant is leaking into the oil and that's probably a head gasket as well.

also check the drip hole behind the water pump between the pump and the engine itself. see if there's any pooling of coolant there. This means you need a new water pump gasket at least and because they're generally cheap, a new water pump (they come with the gaskets). This is how I found the leak on my Mark VI, but then I could smell a very faint whiff of coolant when I would park after driving for a while.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X