5.0 turd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0 turd

I am new to the hole Ford game so please go easy on me!!OK I have an 88 MGM wagon w/5.0 and it move about as fast as tree sap in Jan. Now how much can I gain just from installing a Mustang tb and duals?? or would I be wasting my time and $$$$$ witch I am short on both?? Any help would be great!!! THANKS
    '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
    "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
    "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
    "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
    "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

if you get the mustang throttle body, you'll have to modify it to get the proper cable connections and get the same size egr spacer, and the upper intake plenum. Just putting on dual exhaust and some high flow cats (or no cats if you're in an area that doesn't care about emissions) will do small wonders with that car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, you're on the right track with duals. I believe the stock/parts store exhaust formula is something like: Mustang shorty headers, downpipes, catted (or non-catted, epecially if you're ditching the smog pump) H-pipe, and then 94-96 Impala SS tailpipes. Some persuasion may be necessary.

Going to the stock dual exhaust gave an extra 10HP according to ford, so figure on about a 15-20HP gain for a decent custom dual exhaust system, potentially more with the shorty headers.

If you're going mustang top-end (which is a common choice), search "HO swap" on here. The short version is: you can swap just the upper intake and see noticeable gains, or swap the cam, heads, the entire intake, computer, and firing order from an 87-93 mustang and see fairly serious (50+HP) gains. The computer has to be from a more specific car, I think the code is A9L but don't quote me on that.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

OK so if i get tb for $30,EGR spacer for $6, upper intake for $25, the lower intake for $25, and the headers for $15 each at the yard then what do you yhink i would be looking at power wise??? with a cost of about $116.00.. PLus what ever I can work out on the exhaust!!

Comment

lower intake is the same unless you go with the newer tubular explorer 5.0L intake. This wouldn't really make sense unless you're doing heads as well so you won't need the lower intake. Just note this... you will have to do some fabrication on the throttle body to get the cables to line up. I can't remember exactly what it is, but there's plenty of HO conversion threads around that cover that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

well what if i went with the heads to at $40 each, would that make a big diff. ??

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
              lower intake is the same unless you go with the newer tubular explorer 5.0L intake. This wouldn't really make sense unless you're doing heads as well so you won't need the lower intake. Just note this... you will have to do some fabrication on the throttle body to get the cables to line up. I can't remember exactly what it is, but there's plenty of HO conversion threads around that cover that.
              You grind off the lopo TB throttle bracket, and the HO tb bracket, and throw the lopo one on the HO tb. Then weld it/j b weld it/ use a self tapping screw etc... to secure it.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by grandwagon View Post
                well what if i went with the heads to at $40 each, would that make a big diff. ??
                I'm not sure... depends on the year for sure. What year mustang engine are you pulling from?

Comment

what would be the best one?

Comment

87-93
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

cool so now i know what to look for when i am cruzzin the junkyard!!!

Comment

I am new to the hole Ford game so please go easy on me!!OK I have an 88 MGM wagon w/5.0 and it move about as fast as tree sap in Jan. Now how much can I gain just from installing a Mustang tb and duals?? or would I be wasting my time and $$$$$ witch I am short on both??
                        You will not gain enough to make it worth your time and money.
                        OK so if i get tb for $30,EGR spacer for $6, upper intake for $25, the lower intake for $25, and the headers for $15 each at the yard then what do you yhink i would be looking at power wise??? with a cost of about $116.00.. PLus what ever I can work out on the exhaust!!
                        Save your money for a HO conversion. No sense putting lipstick on a pig... Even if you change your entire intake hardware and exhaust system you are still stuck with heads and a cam which are good for poor performance at best....
                        Don't bother with Mustang heads, intake, etc.. by the time you add up the cost, you can just get a complete low mileage Explorer motor for a little more. This will give you a better cam, shortblock, heads and intake...
                        Don't get me wrong.. if you have zero budget and just want to get the experience of bolting parts on your car with small incremental gains at a time with small long term goals, you can get Mustang parts for nearly free and you will see some improvement eventually..

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                          You will not gain enough to make it worth your time and money.

Save your money for a HO conversion. No sense putting lipstick on a pig... Even if you change your entire intake hardware and exhaust system you are still stuck with heads and a cam which are good for poor performance at best....
                          Don't bother with Mustang heads, intake, etc.. by the time you add up the cost, you can just get a complete low mileage Explorer motor for a little more. This will give you a better cam, shortblock, heads and intake...
                          Don't get me wrong.. if you have zero budget and just want to get the experience of bolting parts on your car with small incremental gains at a time with small long term goals, you can get Mustang parts for nearly free and you will see some improvement eventually..

He's right, save your money now and get a low mileage Explorer motor when you can, which will give you much more of a bang for your buck over junkyards Mustang parts. With an Explorer motor you get the whole package in one engine without having to break your back or your wallet pulling junkyard parts. Which will never be as good as what you'll get with the Explorer motor. I've already done this swap on a 91 CV, so I know all the problems you'll have with the conversion and how to fix them. It's not that hard at all and well worth it!!!

Comment

Start with dual exhaust and shorter gearing in the rear end.
                            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

mercracer, ok so an explorer motor may be doable on the cheap! but what year should i look for?? 91 waggin, shorter gearing? what do you suggest!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X