code 34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

code 34

Ok heres the deal Ive been getting horrible mileage which I attributed to the size of the car. Yesterday I had the wife start the car while I was behind it Because I wanted to hear my new dual exhaust again (it sounds like a grown up mustang). When she started it up I smelled big time unburnt fuel. So I figgered maybe o2 sensors. Well today before I ordered them I figgered Id pull codes heres what i got for koeo fast blinky then 34,34,1?,34. I know the 34 is this:

34) Insufficient EGR flow/Excessive exhaust back pressure; or EVP voltage above closed limit(SONIC)/PFE sensor voltage high or out of range. (O)(R)(C)

Whats the most common way to approach this code? Like Ive said in the past its been a long time since Ive dealt with ford drivability. I would expect a rich condition to make the o2s register a code?
    I do know the egr functions when vacuum is applied and it holds vacuum, all the egr passages are clean because about a month ago i took the upper intake off,cleaned everything real good and replaced all vac lines ect.
    Last edited by HATNINJA; 09-06-2010, 10:55 AM.
    My wife and I.sigpic

FYI when you start the car o2 sensors don't even figure into it. The computer is running open loop until temperature gets warm enough (running off predetermined values for a cold engine).

Comment

ok thanks

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
      FYI when you start the car o2 sensors don't even figure into it. The computer is running open loop until temperature gets warm enough (running off predetermined values for a cold engine).
      Well what should I check for this code?
      My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

well I guess Ill just go to autozone tomorrow and get a new evp sensor for 30 bucks and see if that makes it go away.
        My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

generally code 34 is for the carbon chunkies clogging up the works. take the EGR spacer off and clean the crap out.

The easiest way to test this is to pull the vacuum line from the EGR valve, plug it, start the car, and use a vacuum pump (small hand pump works great) to pull vacuum on the EGR valve. If the idle goes to crap or the car dies... the valve is fine, replace the EVP sensor. If the idle doesn't change at all... then there's too much crap built up in the EGR channels and you need to clean it out... or the EGR valve is screwed and won't open.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yep, since the exhaust smells nasty, a stuck open egr valve is a good bet.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I just changed the evp sensor and went to pull codes but now my shitty tester comes on when pluggesd in the light comes on but it goes out when I turn the key on? Oh gadget I just cleaned the thing out about a month ago along with the intake and throttle bod and spacer. If i get the code back Ill take off the egr again.
              My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

Also I looked for my mightyvac for the umpteenth time still cant find it but I did find some snake skins in the garage.
                My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

Well it seems that there was a problem with my evp sensor. Since I am sort of lazy and I love throwing parts at a ford till the codes go away, this finally paid off. I am now able to turn my idle down and run the ac without it stalling. I know it was a sin to turn my idle up to start with but the thing wouldnt stay running with ac on and my wife is 7 months preggie...tell me you wouldnt turn the damn idle up in that situation!
                  My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

At month 8.75 yes, not before. =-)

Comment

Working...
                    X