Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noise from gas tank?

Hi!

Last night when I was leaving the mall, I noticed an odd squeaking noise.
    Having screwed with my springs and a loose shock last weekend, I figured either the shock was loose again, or where I left the cushion off the right rear spring, might be the source, though odd that it hadn't occurred a few days ago....

Went out just now in the day time to reinvestigate, and what do you know-- definitely coming from the gas tank.
    Something's knocking around in there! There's a sloshing sound and a knocking sound that go several seconds past when the car itself stops wiggling, after I've pushed down on the rear bumper. Nothing to do with my suspension.
    Problem?
    Or is it just the gas gauge hitting the tank when it's low? I have no idea by the way: never opened up a fuel tank before.

The fuel light came on recently, and from past experience if I fill up right now, I should be able to put 15.5gallons in it, so I should have 2.5gallons left if it's really an 18gal tank. I'll be filling up in another 20miles, later today if I head out to my friend's and the gas station near him that I always use. I usually run it this low and don't hear anything like this.

Noticed a wet spot under the differential/"pumpkin" but it didn't smell like gas. That doesn't mean much yet one way or another: gas wouldn't necessarily smell like much in cold weather, or the volatiles have evaporated? Or it could very easily be a stain from an old oil change coincidentally under the pumpkin.

could be the float knocking on the bottom. Put some gas in and see if it goes away.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Aaaahahahaha, yup, that was it!
      Never, ever happened to me before, not on any car.
      Maybe having the rear end up at the proper height has changed things-- now I know that if I hear my gas tank knocking, I have just over 2 gallons left!

Comment

Working...
      X