89 GM hard plastic vacuum lines...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 GM hard plastic vacuum lines...

During my repair of a cracked fuel line, I broke 4 of the hard plastic vacuum lines. They are multiple colors and are part of a large connector plug that houses 5 or 6 lines (passenger side, near the inner fender).

the lines were green, white, black, etc...i believe one runs to the EGR valve. Curious what does this affect? the car has 210k miles...so i really don't care much about anything aside from doing damage. emissions don't matter either...as i suspect that's what most of these are for....right?

if there's enough of the hard line left... just slip some snug fit rubber vacuum hose over the cracked parts to patch the lines. the problem will come with vacuum leaks that affect driveability (engine may not run quite right).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

red is vacuum supply, green goes to the EGR valve, white and black go to the smog pump junk. I tossed all of those plastic BS lines and just got rubber hose to replace it. I have only the red line and the green line. The other solenoids are gone, along with all of the related plumbing for the smog pump. Absolute minimum, seal the red line off.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the info. When you say red is the "vacuum supply"....what is it supplying?

Comment

the vacuum needed by the emission system (EGR, smog pump, etc)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

there's a single red line going down to the fuel pressure regulator....keep that one.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
            X