Oil Leak Discovered! Oil Pan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak Discovered! Oil Pan...

Okay, I finally realized what's causing my oil leak.. I have a rusty oil pan. Not actually holes and it seeps over time. So I am thinking a few coats of POR-20 paint and enamel? Because as far as I can tell replacing the oil pan with out raising the engine. I can't do that.. How much could it cost for someone to do it, if I can't do it without raising it. The rust inhibitor I tried spraying last night didn't work and I even cleaned it.. but no good.. It sucks, because I literally just changed my oil.. But atleast I found it out!
    "Charleston" the 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS sedan

if it's seeping from the bottom where there is rust, you MIGHT be able to use a sealant of some sort (JB weld has been used by a few members) to stop the leak, but it's temporary. The main thing is going to be getting the surface you're putting a sealant on SUPER free of oil, but doing that could well make the hole bigger in a hurry.

An experienced Ford mechanic could do it for a couple hundred bucks plus parts maybe? I don't know. Lincolnsmania or Grandmarq88 or someone would know better.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I just sealed mine on my 95 merc a month or so ago, and it has not leaked a drop since (was losing about a quart every 200 miles).

What I did first was clean the oil pan well with some brake cleaner, drove it a while, and was able to pinpoint the leak on the pan. Then I drained the oil pan and i used a wire wheel and ground off all the rust around the leak. I cleaned it again with the brake cleaner. Then I used a product called JB Stik, which is like a putty to seal the hole. I activated it, flattened it like a pancake, and then pushed it firmly on the pan over the hole. I let it dry a few hours, hit the whole pan with some engine block paint, filled the oil, and the leak was fixed. It has not lost a drop since. For only $5 for the JB Stik, you can't go wrong, because even if it didn't work, you would still have to change the pan anyway.

Comment

Okay, I'm hoping it's salvageable.. I'm hopefully getting a friend to see if he can help me replace the oil pan.. ugh. lifting the engine with out disconnecting everything lol

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm going to keep you updated!

Comment

I pulled an oil pan from my vic with the engine still in the car. You gotta undo the motor mount through bolts, and remove the fan and shroud. I also removed the upper intake. It's a pain in the ass, but it's doable. Replace the oil pump while you're in there.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              I pulled an oil pan from my vic with the engine still in the car. You gotta undo the motor mount through bolts, and remove the fan and shroud. I also removed the upper intake. It's a pain in the ass, but it's doable. Replace the oil pump while you're in there.
              So it's possible!? WOOT! So you didn't have to disconnect anything but those? The thing on AllData is this hugeeee list.. here it is.. so i was obviously daunted by the task of doing it.
              REMOVAL
              Remove air ducts.
              Disconnect the accelerator and Throttle Valve (TV) cable from throttle body.
              Remove the fan shroud retaining bolts and position the shroud over the fan.
              Disconnect the wiper motor electrical connector, and remove the wiper motor.
              Disconnect the windshield washer hose.
              Remove the wiper motor mounting cover.
              Remove the dipstick.
              Remove the dipstick tube retaining bolt at the exhaust manifold.
              Remove the Thermactor air dump tube retaining clamp.
              Remove the Thermactor crossover tube at the rear of the engine.
              Raise the vehicle.
              Drain the crankcase.
              Remove the filler tube and drain the transmission.
              Disconnect cable from starter motor, and remove starter.
              Relieve fuel system pressure and remove fuel line.
              Disconnect the inlet pipes from the exhaust manifolds.
              Remove the two exhaust gas oxygen sensors.
              Remove the Thermactor secondary air tube to torque convertor housing clamps.
              Remove the convertor inspection cover.
              Disconnect the exhaust pipes to catalytic convertor outlet.
              Remove the catalytic convertor secondary air tube and inlet pipes to exhaust manifolds.
              Loosen the engine rear mount attaching nuts.
              Remove the engine mount through bolts.
              Remove the shift crossover bolts at the transmission.
              Remove the brake line retainer from the front crossmember.
              Disconnect the transmission kickdown rod.
              Position a jack under the engine and raise it carefully as high as it will go.
              Place a wood block between each engine mount and the chassis brackets. When the engine is definitely secured with the wood blocks, remove the jack.
              Remove the oil pan retaining bolts and lower the oil pan.
              Remove the bolts retaining the oil pump pickup tube to the pump, and the nut retaining the tube to the main bearing cap. Allow the pickup tube to drop into the oil pan.
              Rotate the crankshaft as necessary to remove pan from the vehicle.
              Clean the oil pan and pickup tube and inspect for damage.
              Clean the oil pan gasket surface on the cylinder block.

Comment

You need to disconnect the throttle linkage from the upper intake, you have to remove the shroud, to remove the shroud, you have to remove the fan, or the radiator, your choice. (removing the radiator, gives you more room to pull the oil pan out). I removed the fan shroud though.
                It'll be fun getting at all of the bolts for the oil pan, some are really tricky, I used universal sockets to get at some of them. Also, note where they all came from. The bolts in the very front, are different sizes than the rest. This is also true in the very back.

The blind oil pump and assembly removal is fun too. It's not to hard. It's easier to drop it than it is to put it back in, that oil pump driveshaft is a motherfucker.

Pull the pan out. If it hits the crank, hit the key a little bit until it clears, then out comes the pan.
                Get a new oil pump. If the driveshaft isn't messed up, and the little keeper is still on it and doesn't move, reuse it. If not get a new one.

MAKE SURE when you put it back together that the keeper is up at the top, and not at the bottom or you'll regret it if and when you pull the distributor.

Getting that in the hole and in the distributor is a pain. I had the distributor out on mine. So I had to find TDC on number 1 compression, but that's not really hard with a finger, and then fine tuning with a timing light.

Comment

and if in your way, pull the dipstick and tube. Basically, pull anything that gets in your way.

Comment

Ha! Do you think there would be a market for a DIY shop where you rent a bay for say $50/day? Just a lift and maybe some jackstands, bring your own tools?

There are so many times would I would LOVE a lift.
                    I feel that along with a fridge and oven, all new homes should come with a lift in the garage....

Anyway.
                    The poster recommending jb stick has perhaps the easiest workable solution.
                    Plastics are porous.
                    Rust is porous.
                    Solid steel is not.

So if it's weeping oil, wherever it seems to just be soaking through without being a hole, must surely be made of rust! If the spot is small enough, yeah, grind it out, wirewheel the steel around the spot, and use an epoxy putty maybe with fiberglass reinforcement.

Oil pans are like $40-$80... I partially stripped the plug and might be doing my own pan soon, so I was just looking. I have iffy access to a lift, so whenever I can do it... not looking forward to it. Our oil pans are WEIRD, I don't know any other one that is split into two halves like this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                      Ha! Do you think there would be a market for a DIY shop where you rent a bay for say $50/day? Just a lift and maybe some jackstands, bring your own tools?

There are so many times would I would LOVE a lift.
                      I feel that along with a fridge and oven, all new homes should come with a lift in the garage....
                      This x1000. I have been looking for a place like this, but the only place I found you have to use their tools for some reason. The only problem I can foresee with starting this kind of business would be liability insurance for when the moron puts his car on the lift wrong and it falls on him.
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Alright! Thanks! That's really helpful! Although I'm only going to remove the fan shrowd. That's going to be the easiest thing to do. But yeah the shape of our oil pans are a little ridiculous.

Comment

what john said about changing the oil pan, make sure you change the oil pump too

i offer special rates for those who want to work on their own stuff with some help from me

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'll be doing this in spring to my 91, although I may just pull the engine instead. But That would require me to borrow/buy a cherry picker, so I may just do it in car.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

tyler, if you can pull the engine itll make life a lot easier. obviously only if you have the resources.
                              1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                              1994 MGM GS Montigua
                              2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                              2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X