No announcement yet.

Oil Leak Discovered! Oil Pan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! And I plan on it.. A task so daunting isn't going to be taken lightly! lol but I was thinking about coating it with some POR-20 I have. So yeah I'll post all the pictures when I'm done!
    "Charleston" the 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS sedan

Comment

por-20 is a good idea. I was going to suggest por-15 but didn't want to because it's not high-temp. I'd forgotten about por-20.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Picked up the oil pan today, it's a little ragged and dented, but for $37 can't complain. Going to clean it really well and paint it..

Comment

I'm in the process, of getting my oil pan out now and I'm not really sure which bolt on the engine mount needs to come out.. I'm think its the center on but not quite sure..

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
            Ha! Do you think there would be a market for a DIY shop where you rent a bay for say $50/day? Just a lift and maybe some jackstands, bring your own tools?

There are so many times would I would LOVE a lift.
            I feel that along with a fridge and oven, all new homes should come with a lift in the garage....

Anyway.
            The poster recommending jb stick has perhaps the easiest workable solution.
            Plastics are porous.
            Rust is porous.
            Solid steel is not.

So if it's weeping oil, wherever it seems to just be soaking through without being a hole, must surely be made of rust! If the spot is small enough, yeah, grind it out, wirewheel the steel around the spot, and use an epoxy putty maybe with fiberglass reinforcement.

Oil pans are like $40-$80... I partially stripped the plug and might be doing my own pan soon, so I was just looking. I have iffy access to a lift, so whenever I can do it... not looking forward to it. Our oil pans are WEIRD, I don't know any other one that is split into two halves like this one.
            We actually have those here...the DIY shops. they rent a bay with tools and theres ase mechanics on deck for advice
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
            Carb swap planned .
            c90 heads
            475 lift cam
            Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
            Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
            331 stroker kit
            Work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Merc302 View Post
              We actually have those here...the DIY shops. they rent a bay with tools and theres ase mechanics on deck for advice
              very nice. How much do they cost?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

I pulled the engine to do my oil pan...HUGE pain in the ass. So many wires and hoses and shit, gotta love the 80's fuel injection and emissions . I didnt replace the pump however....damn lol oh well so far so good and this summer I am planning a motor swap anyways.
                -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

should have just disconnected the engine mounts at the block. that way, no adjusting would be needed. would have gone back into place

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Probably too late for the OP, but just thought I'd add what I did with my '88 10 or so years ago.

Until I had to rebuild the tranny (long story) I didn't want to bother with pulling the motor, but since I had a MI car the pan was horribly rusted from the salty winter roads. I found (with advice from my boss at the local NAPA) that a "fiberglass gas tank patch kit" was just about the right amount needed and worked great for the next year or so until I had to drop the tranny and replaced it then.

Comment

Interesting solution. that's a solid first post.

Welcome to Grandmarq.net, feel free to introduce yourself in the newbie section and post pictures and stories of your car in the Readers Ride section.

Comment

i know its a lil late in the tread , but we have a place down the street where you rent the bay buy the hour, use your tools or theres,and ther are ase mechanic on deck for help or advise!!!!! $45.00 an hour if you do it or $75.00an hour if they do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only thing is they have to set the lift!!!
                        '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
                        "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
                        "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
                        "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
                        "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Working...
                        X