valve cover identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve cover identification

I just picked up an ultra cheap set of finned aluminum valve covers. The only markings are on the underside and they say

CAL CUSTOMS
    GARDENA CALIF
    40-1017
    Can anyone give me any information based on that? All I can really tell is that they're in good shape; need a painting; have the correct SBF bolt pattern

These covers look a little tall for stock EFI applications so I'm probably going to need a spacer...but these covers look damn nice! Only $20.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Like these?

**2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

similar but not exactly like them. they're definitely a lot older.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

that's them exactly. slightly cleaner than mine
        sigpic

Comment

does anyone have a stock valve cover nearby that they could measure?
          sigpic

Comment

see mine are much dirtier

also what part of the vc should i be measuring to see if they'll clear the intake plenum?
            sigpic

Comment

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Way back in the day( RE: 1968-1975 ) They were THE covers to have . Nice find
                sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

hah! I still can't believe just how much translates over the DECADES to our '90s era cars, all the parts still fit together!

SO much better than these imports, where you need a part only from this 2 year span, but wait-- they changed midyear, so check the part number: it's only a 1.5yr span. And it has to be the limited edition version, ohhh, so close: but v6 six limited edition of that year only.... and it had to have rolled off the assembly line on a 1/2 moon night in a winter month....

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                    hah! I still can't believe just how much translates over the DECADES to our '90s era cars, all the parts still fit together!

SO much better than these imports, where you need a part only from this 2 year span, but wait-- they changed midyear, so check the part number: it's only a 1.5yr span. And it has to be the limited edition version, ohhh, so close: but v6 six limited edition of that year only.... and it had to have rolled off the assembly line on a 1/2 moon night in a winter month....

well our engine "family" has been around since the 60s...maybe 50s but I think early 60s. 50s were y block I think

but yeah...I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a 1/2" spacer....does anyone think I would run into hood clearance problems with a full 1" spacer? Might get one of those just to be on the safe side (I don't want to buy a 1/2" spacer and find out it's not enough).

the wicked price I got on these justifies spending a bit on a spacer I think!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hypostang View Post
                      Way back in the day( RE: 1968-1975 ) They were THE covers to have . Nice find
                      cool! thanks for the offer of the stock valve covers, btw.
                      sigpic

Comment

will that work in these covers? i got a plug for the drivers side but need something with a breather tube for the passenger side. canadian tire didn't have any.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                          but yeah...I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a 1/2" spacer....does anyone think I would run into hood clearance problems with a full 1" spacer? Might get one of those just to be on the safe side (I don't want to buy a 1/2" spacer and find out it's not enough).
                          I'm running a 1" on my '87 C.V. C.S. with an Explorer intake. The EGR hose got chopped by a hood support rib. I massaged the rib w/a ballpeen & it seems to fit ok now.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post

yknow...FUCK TOYOTA.
                            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
                            Carb swap planned .
                            c90 heads
                            475 lift cam
                            Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
                            Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
                            331 stroker kit
                            Work in progress

Comment

The reason all this stuff fits is because they made the same basic engine for 50 odd years. The first Windsor motor came out in 1962 and it didn't really change much till 2001 when it went out of production. Look up smallblock Chevy stuff sometime. They made those forever too.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X