valve cover identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    The reason all this stuff fits is because they made the same basic engine for 50 odd years. The first Windsor motor came out in 1962 and it didn't really change much till 2001 when it went out of production. Look up smallblock Chevy stuff sometime. They made those forever too.

+1 the SBC has at least 10 years on us, I think they came out shortly after the war? maybe? I could be wrong.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

but weren't the later ones changes around a bit more? LS and LT blocks don't cross over a lot do they?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

until the LT came out, there was just one "small block chevy" engine family, now the LT and LS are the gen. II and gen. III respectively...motor mounts are the same for easy retrofitting and some of the rotating assembly can be swapped.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I mean...uh....I don't know nuttin 'bout no chebby....
          sigpic

Comment

The small block Chevy as most pople know it debuted in 1955 as a 265. They are still making them new today, as replacement engines, and crate engines. They pretty much ran through the late 90s, and maybe into the early 2000s in some trucks, as far as production goes.

They had a good run. But there were a ton of SBC variations. For the traditional SBF there was just the 221, 260, 289, and 302 (and the taller deck 351). For the SBC there was the 262, 265, 267, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350, 400. Different bores, strokes, and journal diameters for some of those engines, as well.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

these valve covers are cleaning up really friggin' nice....i hope my dremel will hold a charge because i dont know how else i'll clean up in between the fins properly. might try a wire wheel but it'll probably be too big

got the top of the fins and the sides looking pretty good...i'll get some pics when they're done
              sigpic

Comment

how should i paint em? leave the fins bare and paint the rest ford blue? black? whaddya think?
                sigpic

Comment

American smallblock V8s For The Win!!

Originally posted by Merc302 View Post
                  yknow...FUCK TOYOTA.
                  Aww, you done went and made him cry....

Again....
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Piece-it pete; 03-16-2011, 11:04 AM.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                  1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I vote Ford blue, btw. They're very cool!

Pete
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Shine 'em up and clearcoat.

Only concern I know of with putting old-style valvecovers on a SEFI car is having to find a fill cap instead of a breather for the side that's under the snakey-intake junk. For the other side, you can get a closed-style breather and hook it to the stock port on the throttle body.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yeah, I found a generic twist-on cap, now I need a generic twist-on breather haha...all of the ones I find on ebay have breather holes on the bottom in addition to the PCV nipple on the top (which is all I need)
                        sigpic

Comment

Yep, the non-PCV closed breather with the hose nipple. One of my push-in closed breathers is a Spectre with the nipple parallel to the valve cover. My other one is an angley-nipple Fram. For me, the parallel-nipple version is handier ...

... but for a SEFI car .... I might want the nipple on top ... might look into adapting a early-'80s Ford twist-on oil fill cap (the one that had the PCV valve in the middle) so it has just a breather nipple ... maybe using something like this Wix thing?

Depending on dimensions I imagine it could push into the top of the Ford filler cap in place of the PCV, provide a filter, and connect conveniently to the breather tube on the TB ..........
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                          X