Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

spark plugs? (copper, platinum, iridium, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark plugs? (copper, platinum, iridium, etc)

Hi!

When I'm finished with my rebuild, I'll be putting in fresh plugs.

I've been advised on this forum that $1.50 copper motorcraft is just fine for our cars.
    Now, the explorer motor I've salvaged heads and a cam from ran platinum.

Platinum is supposed to last for 100,000 miles,
    Copper is supposed to last 30,000?

Is there a reason why platinum would still only last 30,000 in our engines (contamination), or if I spend the extra $25 on one of the less expensive platinum plugs (I surely don't need quadruple iridium imported from germany-- one can spend a LOT on plugs and it won't be me), will I be able to go 100,000 and never need to change plugs again?

plats arnt all that great, im running autolite iridiums in mine and i lovem.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

i use motorcraft copper plugs on 302's

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

im running autolite iridiums in mine and i lovem
        same, they have taken allllot of shit and they're hangin in there good.
        Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

If money is no option, buy platinum. If you want to keep it economical, run copper.

Comment

I always use copper plugs, and usually a range or two colder than stock.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

running the stock spec awsf44c mortorcraft plugs in mine it's just fine

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

i run copper autolites in my 87 and they work great , but i run autolite iridum in the marauder
                sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                87 mercury grand marquis
                88 crown vic lx
                89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
                89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
                00 ford crown vic lx hpp
                03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

single electrode double platinums (app2545) are good plugs.
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                    single electrode double platinums (app2545) are good plugs.
                    edit: these are for stock heads.

not sure of a part # for explorer heads. Autolite APP104???
                    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Neato link for reading spark plugs (incl. determining spark advance and heat range):

Always get plugs to match your heads:

Exploder heads use Motorcraft ASWF-32C (IIRC, can check tomorrow). Ask for plugs for a '93 Cobra, as they don't list normal copper-core options for Explorers and the guy will try to talk you into platinums, which is retarded and a waste of money.

E7 heads use Autolite 26 or equivalent. Ask for plugs for any '87-up 5.0 Mustang, or anything using D8 or E5 heads.

E6 heads use Autolite 2545 or equivalent. Ask for plugs for a stock '86-up 5.0 Vic.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

That is interesting!
                        I like the idea of spending a little more on platinum/iridium and only changing them 1/4 as often; it'll be cheaper and easier in the end.

Looks like the explorer heads take the same length spark plug and the same "heat" if that's the technical term.

Hey-- there's a guy selling the autolite xp104 iridium plugs for $3/apiece on ebay but I'd have to buy 4 sets of 8. He's got good feedback.
                        But I only need one or two sets. If I buy the lot, anyone interested in a set of 8 iridium plugs for $24 +$5 shipping? That way I'd get cheap plugs but don't get left with the bulk, and you'd get cheap plugs too

Comment

Ouch. And I thought $16ish was bad enough for a set of sparkers. IMO, there are dozens of better uses for the money, but that's just me, and I drive very little and never change my plugs until they're completely hopeless or I suspect I got the heat range wrong (or, as with one set of Champions, couldn't find a stupid heat range reference in the first place!).

:banana:
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

autolite copper all the way on my stock yachts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

it's a gimmick, i'll give you an example:
                              your best bet is to use oem specified spark plugs!

about 7 yrs ago friends of mine got a dodge grand caravan with around 65,000 miles........in stock form it was getting 26 mpg highway.
                              so they decided to go to myrtle beach for a week and had me tune it up before the trip, my friend provided me with 6 bosch platinum +4 plugs.......i installed them, they went on their trip and only got 18.5 mpg..........when they got home, i installed 6 oem plugs, champion platinums, fuel economy went up to 27 mpg

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X