Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

spark plugs? (copper, platinum, iridium, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on my 4th set of Motorcraft plugs and they all died an honorable death at the specified mileage. Actually, no, the last set got fouled on account of my valve covers leaking oil onto everything (was much worse on the 5678 bank though) but they still functioned and got reasonably good gas mileage. Gap at like .50 I think..motorcraft have been just dandy.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

what is the specified mileage for copper motorcrafts?

Comment

I've got somewhere around 60-80K on the copper plugs in my 93 vic. YMMV

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

"Specified mileage"? Who knows? Check the original vehicle owner's manual, maybe?

Mine only get replaced if I jolly well feel like it and they're either fouled beyond all belief or I want to try a different heat range. And then only if I can spare the $15 for new plugs and can be bothered to stop by AutoZone to buy them.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

i dont care what spark plug it is, i dont trust them for more than 50,000 miles.......yea they will work fine, but i want as new performance and the best fuel economy that i can possibly get......i have seen coppers go to 226,000 miles, it was not pretty tho lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

OK, that makes sense-- maybe platinums and iridiums don't corrode away as quickly as copper (and you probably need them in an engine designed with very hot combustion),
              but there's nothing that'll make fancy spark plugs more resistant to soot buildup, so if the plugs go bad from contamination before they go bad from corrosion anyway, no reason to waste $$ on platinum

Comment

The white wagon is the only car I've driven more than 50k miles. Bought it at 83k, and when I pulled the original engine for refreshing 7 years later it was somewhere around 140k. So that'd be why I don't care as much about things wearing out from mileage.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                X