• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, okay, got it. Thanks guys!
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis 5.0 LS, named "Ulysses "

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      86Vicky hates Failsafes because he feels they can cause premature engine wear if they stick open and the car runs too cold for a long time. I always notice my AutoGage temp gage from time to time while driving, so I'd know immediately if my Failsafe had failed.
      It's a pain in the ass. And because of this. As I said in another thread...
      Originally posted by PushnFords View Post
      I've actually had the best luck with the cheap thermostats. I've had two trucks that the previous owners put $12 "Failsafe" thermostats in and they both went bad. Funny thing was when the one stuck open the truck overheated because it couldn't cool the water fast enough. I put a thin layer on both sides of the gasket to seal any imperfections and then put it together with some antisieze on the bolts.

Comment

i've run a 180 degree thermostat in the town car since the 90's.......a 160 i would not use

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          What you're seeing is a pipe threaded bung for a temperature sensor or a thermostatically controlled vacuum valve on a carb car.
          Interesting, I thought those thermal vacuum switches always mounted in a weird kooky fitting up top like the ones that came on my '79, my '81, and (IIRC) Nathan's '90. Makes more sense to put it in the water neck, though, thread size permitting.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I like the housings that have the threaded hole, not only for the additional sensor location, but they also tend to be cast iron instead of aluminum so harder to crack.. which i've done my fair share of times with the aluminum ones. Some parts places don't show that one when you look them up for our cars, but they show up under stuff like early 70's bronco's.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
            1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
            1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

True, seems all SBF waternecks are essentially the same except for the weird 90-degree Fox Mustang piece.
              Last edited by 1987cp; 04-10-2011, 01:42 AM.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The Explorer also has that elbow. Found that out after I assembled the engine in the car.

Comment

Working...
                X