Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fuel injectors: explorer vs mustang (same?), +, new o rings, how to clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel injectors: explorer vs mustang (same?), +, new o rings, how to clean?

Hi!

I have my original lowpo fuel injectors which i'm getting rid of.

Then I have a set of 8 injectors off of a 1990 mustang, but I cracked the plastic sheath, the bit that actually makes contact with the aluminum holes in the intake, on two of them. Pepboys, as usual, was clueless, but I might see if autozone has them tomorrow-- or even knows the name of the plastic bit I'm looking for!

Then I have a set of 8 injectors out of a newer explorer, which look cleaner besides, and none are broken.

Anyone know if they're the same thing? If the explorer injectors are also 19# and fully compatible with my HO computer?

Secondly, how can I/should I try to freshen up these injectors ,or presuming they were working when the intake was pulled, best to leave 'em alone and drop them in?
    I can replace the o-rings if advisable; the one part the local parts stores bother to carry.

thanks for the advice!!
    -Bernard

fuel injector rebuild kits are what you're after. Those have the pintle caps (the plastic things) and the O rings.

Explorer injectors are a 4 hole design for better fuel atomization. Same flow rate, but all things being equal, the Explorer units are better due to the design.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

fuel injector rebuild kits are what you're after. Those have the pintle caps (the plastic things) and the O rings.

Explorer injectors are a 4 hole design for better fuel atomization. Same flow rate, but all things being equal, the Explorer units are better due to the design.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The v8 explorer injectors will work. There were two styles that were made, both were 19#. There are yellow/orangish colored ones that should have the same electrical connector you need. They will plug right in. The other ones were a light tan color and they have a different style connector if I recall correctly. You can make them work by either buying adaptors from a company that makes them or much cheaper, get the wiring harness from the donor Explorer and cut off your old connectors, and solder on the Explorer ones. That's what I did on my '91. Make sure you keep the polarity the same.

Comment

One more thing, the oring kits are cheap insurance against leaks at the fuel rail.
          A good way to clean them is to get the 3M do it yourself fuel cleaning kit. It cost about $50, but it does a way better job then the crap you dump in the fuel tank. This kit hooks up right at the fuel rail and you disable the fuel pump and run the car on the can of cleaner. Once the engine stalls, the cleaner is all used up and the car runs like a champ, hopefully.

Comment

Cool beans!
            I'll get rebuild kits another year: this car needs to get back together! At least injectors are on top, not TOO much trouble to get back to.
            I think they were orange top, which makes life easy

Hah-- I'd reversed the polarity on a cell phone charger I repaired. Fat lot of charging it did then, driving current the wrong way through the battery
            I'd need to find out more about how an injector solenoid works to consider what it would do when run backwards....

Comment

Later model explorer fuel injectors have different plugs on them, the '96 and '97 I know for sure will plug right in.

Comment

Working...
              X