dropping oil pan: steps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
    It didn't fall out when I was building mine.
    And if it does, you've got it on a stand, even if you have to pull off the oil pan again it's still only 20 minutes and unaggravating minutes at that

Question:
    I've got two extra driveshafts (guy I bought the block from had all the parts lying around, and duplicates of many a part-- a packrat like myself).
    The retaining clips are set at two different heights on the two driveshafts!
    It looks like they're not set into any lip, they're stuck in place by straight friction and nothing else, so a gentle tapping with a punch can move that clip up and down along the shaft?

What's the proper height? Or maybe, push it up too far, and when I bolt up the oil pump let the force of the screws push the retaining clip back down to exactly where it needs to be?
    It's a quality control thing. That clip can actually keep the distributor from bolting all the way down. The clip can be moved. What you want to do is just make sure that the distributor seats completely, and when you take the distributor out, it stays where it belongs.

Comment

Working...
    X