exhaust leak at the flange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust leak at the flange

drivers side manifold is leaking at the flange where it mates to the downpipe. fucking fuck. is there anything i can do as a stopgap until i have exhaust work done? i'll just replace the stupid manifolds with some shorty headers from a rustang.

i wish i didnt sell my goddamn headers.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

tighten the nut on the stud, if it broke then you are sol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

You probably sold them cause you needed money. it's something that mostly everyone on here. including me. you got your stock manifolds hooked to what? if anything other than stock it's gonna leak.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        You probably sold them cause you needed money. it's something that mostly everyone on here. including me. you got your stock manifolds hooked to what? if anything other than stock it's gonna leak.

manifolds are stock, everything from the flange to the rear bumper was custom
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I have magnaflow "direct fit" cats bolted to the stock manifolds and no leaks (both the 93 AND the 88).

If there's leaks there... loosen the bolts/nuts but don't remove them... shift stuff around and bolt it back up going back and forth between the nuts so as to tighten it evenly. This should eliminate any leaks due to bad seating. If there is damage to the flare, you may have to remove the stuff and fix/replace that. I don't really see how that could happen while seated though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I usually put some Walker's Accoustiseal on flanges and slip fittings. It won't stop a big leak (it is a lot like tar) but it'll seal up the small stuff from rust pits and things. Maybe the bolts/nuts just worked loose?

Comment

Working...
            X