Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok. so what module did you put on it?

Comment

does the timing mark seem to dance around when you're setting it with the spout unplugged ?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The ignition control module. The feller on the side of the distributor or do you mean brand?

No on the timing mark moving around. It was steady.

Comment

Add this to your list of things that potentially need checking: The wiring going to the distributor (specifically the bundle going to the TFI. Its in a foil shield that you must retain) the wires can get pinched over time, leads to weak spot, intermittant, etc). How exactly did you have to adjust the distributor? Start by shaking the wires at the TFI connector, rough handling again over time by you, other mechanics, previous owners, takes its toll. If its at the distributor end of the wiring consider yourself lucky. Just start the car, get a timing light and start fiddling with the wires and see if the timing jumps erratically at any point. Computer can't control timing if the signal doesn't get to the tfi in the first place.

One other thing, and 'adjusting your distributor' also points to this: worn out distributor (mechanically worn out, ie: shaft bushings. Shaft wobbles while it turns doing all manner of funky stuff to your timing, and in points cars, screwing big time with dwell.

Alex.

Comment

Ok. I will check that too. I've never been this stumped by a vehicle before.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post

One other thing, and 'adjusting your distributor' also points to this: worn out distributor (mechanically worn out, ie: shaft bushings. Shaft wobbles while it turns doing all manner of funky stuff to your timing, and in points cars, screwing big time with dwell.

Alex.
              This actually sounds like that is the problem. As the engine warms up the metal expands. So without adjusting it yourself the car will die, unless you let it cool down where everything goes back to how it was.

Comment

I have one coming in today. Hopefully that's it. Not too much left to replace on it anymore.

Jeremy

Comment

If the dizzy is really worn out, I'd figure you should be able to grab the rotor and wobble the shaft around. At least thats how I've checked breaker points distributors in the past. I've also seen cases where you could see evidence of the shaft wobbling by the plastic shavings inside. The reluctor wheel (the spider thing) will whack the pickup and shave plastic from it when they get really sloppy.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X