Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 mystery air/vacuum/something else? lines. help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 mystery air/vacuum/something else? lines. help!

After figuring out dozens of connections, there are just 2 left I can't deduce-- I need to know what to do with them!

The first is in the second photo, just behind the intake (first photo is just to show location). A little manilla colored canister with a 1/4" vacuum nipple on the front. I've got it capped off... what should it be going to? If associated with the air pump, sweet, I've removed the air pump and there's no problem. If it went to anything else, I should probably find out and connect it!

The second is this T junction under/behind the batter. One leg is an electrical sending unit, the other two are air? lines. One is 2 feet long perhaps and is dangling loose. Did this go to the air pump also? Should I pinch it?
    Shown in the 3rd photo, the T junction and I'm holding the open end, the rest of its length just looped around out of picture.

Let me know! Thanks!
    -Bernard
    Attached Files

The third pic is for the charcoal canister purge . It can be blocked off on the engine side
    sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

What does it look like on the engine side-- where did that line go to exactly? What does the charcoal canister look like?

Any ideas on the 2nd pic?

Comment

What does it look like on the engine side-- where did that line go to exactly? What does the charcoal canister look like?

Any ideas on the 2nd pic?

Comment

The line comes out of the front of the upper intake, like this Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1264839

the canister looks like this (my car is am 88 Townie so your canister may be in a different spot ) Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1264840

My car doesn't have a check valve like yours in the second pic , so I cant help there .
          sigpic

Comment

The black and white lines go from the smog control solenoids that should be hanging on the back side of the upper intake down to the smog pump. If you don't have the solenoids or the smog pump, just remove them. If the pump is gone, remove the lines and cap off the solenoids where they used to connect. Those should be routed under the upper intake and not over it. The white round disc thing is either a one-way check valve for the climate control system, or a one-way valve for the cruise control. I can't tell but if it connects to the tree on the firewall, its for the climate controls. If its hanging in the middle of a vacuum line, its related to the cruise. It may be the one that runs down to the smog pump.
            Last edited by gadget73; 05-01-2011, 05:33 PM.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

gadget, the manilla canister is coming out of the firewall. I can't tell either where it goes from there; I think it's sunk directly into the firewall, I don't remember ever making out any line behind it, even when I could see everything better (intake off, engine out even).
              I don't have automatic climate controls... could it still be a climate control thing? Maybe defunct --just left in place for those models where the customer paid for the automatic climate control? Maybe it was never hooked up? Damn, should have taken photos.

hypostang, can you provide more context? Where is that in your vehicle, how big is it?

I'll peer under the upper intake; I think I've got everything there accounted for, and the open line won't quite make it there! Do you think it came from the canister, and the canister then is somewhere under the engine?

Comment

would one of you mind popping the hood on your car and seeing if there's a line going to that manilla canister on your car?

Comment

On my car the canister is under the right front fender below the battery tray , you have to be under the car to see it . It is slightly larger than a box of pop tarts. One line should come off the intake and go to one side of that electrical thing (canister purge solenoid)the other line would go to the canister under the fender .

I dont have that manilla thing on my car , sorry
                  sigpic

Comment

I could be completely wrong but the item in question in your second picture is a one way valve meant to provide the cruise with additional vacuum. The hose on the front ran to the air pump and there SHOULD be a line running (off of the back I think) to your cruise servo. Since it's a one way valve, you can actually leave the old smog pump connection on the front uncapped if you so choose.

You can eliminate the line going to your cruise control servo and cap it off or leave it plugged in, it doesn't matter. If you leave it plugged in at the cruise servo end, you need to leave it plugged in at the valve end.
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

also the charcoal canister normally just connects to engine vacuum so when it purges the excess fumes, it's burned instead of vented to atmosphere. i don't think it matters what port you give it vacuum from.
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

the item attatched to the firewall is a one-way check valve for the climate control. It plugs onto a plastic vacuum tree and should have 2 small hoses coming from it. One loops straight into the firewall, the other runs over to the vacuum canister on the driver's side fender. If they changed it slightly on a 90s model, it still does the same basic job. Chase the line for the vac box on the fender and you'll figure out if its hooked up or not.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks!

Yeah, found an unused and open vacuum line built into the front underside of the upper intake-- must be for the charcoal canister line! I'll plug it in when it's daylight.

OK-- the climate control thingy. I climbed basically into the engine bay to have a better look. Yup, behind that one-way check valve is a little tree of 3-4 lines, and that tree goes into the firewall.
                          Found two hoses from the side that seem to go to the driver's side fender (lost trace of them for a foot of buried length, but that's them).

1990LTD, you said that the front connection --the one I'm missing?-- came FROM the air pump? That would explain why I'm missing it It's one-way TO the air pump or FROM the air pump? If I've got it capped off now -I just didn't know what to do with it- the cruise control will work as normal? If it really would be better, what I can do is find another vacuum line, cut it, and splice in a leg with a 3-way connection to then run a line to that check valve.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            the item attatched to the firewall is a one-way check valve for the climate control. It plugs onto a plastic vacuum tree and should have 2 small hoses coming from it. One loops straight into the firewall, the other runs over to the vacuum canister on the driver's side fender. If they changed it slightly on a 90s model, it still does the same basic job. Chase the line for the vac box on the fender and you'll figure out if its hooked up or not.
                            what he said
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm still having trouble.
                              Before the tree, the valve has 3 lines: 2 to the driver's side, one out the front that's still missing.

I traced the two to the driver's side, there's no question but that they go direct to the cruise control vacuum canister. I never touched them-- never had to, to pull the engine.
                              Where should the feed for the front of the valve come from? It didn't come from the vacuum canister. I can make a feed by unhooking something else...

Comment

Working...
                              X