Mysterious smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mysterious smoking?

Here lately, Xtine has decided to haave a leak of some sort. I'm not sure what it is, but know where it's coming from. Think under the oil fill area. Close to the compressor. Nice leak, hits the engine, burns off. Funky smell. Car only does about three miles a day roundtrip. Any ideas?

1986 EFI 5.0 if that helps. Stock
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park A.K.A "Christine"TRADED.......Gone to a better home hopefully.

2009 Ford Taurus SEL New DD

I'd say valve cover gaskets are leaking.

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
    351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
    duel exhaust with cherry bombs

Comment

Is it bad to keep driving it?
      1986 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park A.K.A "Christine"TRADED.......Gone to a better home hopefully.

Comment

No just keep an eye on your oil untill you change the gaskets

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
        351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
        duel exhaust with cherry bombs

Comment

Just check the oil and make sure the leak doesn't get worse.

Comment

Is it expensive? To change the gaskets I mean? 88grandmarq is probably gonna be the one to do it.........

Comment

Can she be hot? Or does she need to be cold to get an accurate reading on the oil? I wish i could upload the pics i took but just envision the area im talking about and you will get it. It comes out, on the hot ass engine, and smokes. Just started this about a month ago. And its been bugging the crap outta me. But Eric said the same thing. Just check the fluids more regurarly than i do and i should be fine.

Comment

it's relatively cheap. the gaskets themselves are 40 bucks max.

there is basically nothing that can go wrong other than stuff getting oily and the oil level going down. I've had a pretty nasty leak there, on both sides, for as long as I've owned my car (and probably years before I got it) and it pretty just means there's an occasional smell as the exhaust gets hot and that I lose a little oil.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

So she won't just quit running from just that? I've really been afraid to drive it. I vaguely remember her smoking and drinking oil when i first got her. And she did fine as long as i kept oil in her.

Comment

valve cover gaskets got replaced with cheap cork gaskets march of 2010. they are probably leaking already, make sure the oil stays full.
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

you'll be fine. you could drive it for years with a seeping valve cover gasket so long as it doesn't get much worse.
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Yeah, sounds like valve covers. Cork always ends up leaking. I remember I drove my wagon home from the dealer. Looked like it was on fire from all the smoke. Quick easy fix.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

just add oil as needed. I've known many who never changed the gaskets and just added oil... even when it was a quart every 100 miles. *shrugs*

I'd have just changed the damn gaskets by that point.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            just add oil as needed. I've known many who never changed the gaskets and just added oil... even when it was a quart every 100 miles. *shrugs*

I'd have just changed the damn gaskets by that point.

My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Scottmang put really nice Fel pro re-usable gaskets on my car. Really nice, and you don't have to worry about crushing them.

I always used the steel Ford gaskets with a rubber lip (standard on police cars?), but I have been impressed with these Fel pro ones.

I think they are $50-$60, but once you tighten them, no more leaks.
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X