No announcement yet.

Time for timing chain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool. my water pump is pretty new, hopefully it's still reuseable. probably only 5000 km on it.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Oh yeah I meant to ask - the chain I took off was a single row, but I couldn't find any hint of plastic. I assume it wasn't original?

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

possible. The plastic would have been on the cam gear. Usually you can tell because its a distinctly different color. Or, it all fell off. Was there a Ford part number cast into it? If not, its not original. I think the plastic one had some 1970s part number.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The one I took off the explorer engine I had was a single roller all metal. No plastic gears.
          2001 engine

Comment

yeah those are single row. They also stretch more than the doubles, but not enough to be a serious issue and they don't shed chunks into the pan that can make the motor blow up. I've seen several people with 84-85 cars that lost engines because the plastic failed entirely and the chain jumped. I don't honestly know of anyone who's lost an oil pump because of chunkage but I just have a general dislike of the notion of solid things that don't belong in the oil pan being in the oil pan. It seems like a good way to have a problem.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had plastic teeth on a 79 GM 350 that stripped. I was told to drop the pan and clean it, never did. Sold it a few months later so I don't know what happened down the road.

I finally got a good highway run on the old 85, and surprise! The odd miss is still there.

And it's actually worse. I suspect the slack in the timing chain was covering it up a little because it comes through clearer now. It 'coughs' slightly occasionally while straight line cruising for no apparent reason. I doubt a non carworking person would consciencely notice it.

Reminder, it's an EEC-IV. Any ideas?

Pete
              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

weak valve spring that's not seating all the way every time?

that... or it's dieseling on that cyl due to hot buildup on the piston?

don't really know... but considering the age... that could be it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Could always get out your handy Harbor Freight leakdown test kit ....

I need to do that myself one of these days. Stupid engines that always have a random odd miss at idle ........
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

back to basics for a minute, are all the tuneup parts in good shape? No old wires or crusty plugs or anything like that? These occasionally foul the rear plugs when the motor starts to get tired. You'll get a random miss if the plugs are crusted up. If 4 and/or 8 are crusty and the rest look OK, that probably means the valve guides are done for. The motor tilts back a bit and you'll get a little more oil on those cylinders than others. At least thats my WAG as to why its just those 2 that seem most prone to oil fouling.

Comment

I'm with gadget. My 91 would foul the #8 plug all the time and make a miss. I finally got tired of changing it and opened it to like 120 thousandths and never had a problem again.
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS
                      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

The wires and plugs *should* be ok. I'll pull 4 and 8 this weekend and take a look.

If it ends up being springs guides or valves etc I'll call it good I'm beginning to suspect the engine's about had it anyway.

For carbon buildup, can I use the old pour-water-in-the-'carb' trick?

Pete

Comment

Update: plugs were OK. For now I'm calling it all good, and linking this to my readers' rides thread

Pete

Comment

Working...
                          X