86 GM 5.0 with bad miss/sputtering/jerking. some Help would be nice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad vc line?

How could the Vacuum line be bad, the car is only 25 years old I guess thats the next thing on the list

Comment

Just for an update....Put the car up on the ramps to change the transmission filter. Quickly said "What the hell is leaking on my head ?". Turned out to be the brake line going to the rear. Sat there for about a half hour debating whether to just call the car donation line, then proceeded to change the brake line from the front distribution block to just forward of the rear wheel where I put a coupling. Waited for this long weekend, then changed the rest of the rear lines (which incidentally I could have gotten away with since they weren't that bad). I changed the Oil & Filter at the same time then just put the car back in the street. Changed the oil and filter in mt truck, then decided to relax for the rest of the Holiday week. Hopefully when I take the car to work Friday night, all will be well. I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and wish everyone well.

Comment

Well it's not perfect, but it is more drivable. All the brake lines and hoses are new now too. Feels like whats left is a torque converter problem, but I'll give it a few more trips for the new fluid to try and help it out

Comment

so what do you have now for running/driving issues ? Generally speaking, these don't really have torque converter problems. That shudder issue that later models have doesn't happen to these just because there are no clutches in the converter to chatter and slip.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Latest

It's hard to tell. I have been using the truck for the last few nights. I now have a slight fuel odor that I am trying to track down, but otherwise the sputtering, stumbling, and jerking is the same but much much less. If I wasn't already aware of what it was doing, I'm not sure I would notice it now. I going to take it to work for the next couple of days and try and nail things down a bit more.

Comment

check around the A pillar on the driver's side for a fuel leak. if the brake line popped, i'd expect the fuel line to be crappy too. it seems to fail right there at the A pillar first, where the line tucks between the body and frame. usually it starts as a fuel smell, then moves to a full-on leak. Thats the return side, so you can just use rubber line to patch it temporarily if needed, though you're better off replacing it with steel or that semi-flexible plastic if possible. I'm actually giving serious thought to using that plastic line next time I have need to replace a fuel line. its not too cheap, but it ought to last basically forever. Lines on the Mark VII were plastic from the factory.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've been using the truck because I dread even putting the car up on the ramps again. I just ordered fuel lines and a variety of couplings in case I have to patch a fuel line. I have 1/4 , 5/16, and 3/8, because it seems to have all three under there. I'm trying to nurse it through until we get back to warmer weather. The sad part is, I wouldn't mind paying to have someone do it, but I don't know anyone who is reliable and reasonable.

Comment

*points at Scott (Lincolnmania)* He's reliable AND reasonable... though may not be real close to ya.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

*also points to scott* when in doubt, go to your panther elder...no, im not calling you old scott lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

It's okay, Scott already knows he's old because I told him so.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I contacted Scott, then found out the next day they plan to close the Plant I work at. I may have lots of free time to do it myself. I hope not. If not, He's not too far away, so I could bring it to him. If I am still working after Christmas, will contact him again. The Gas smell went away though. I keep checking under the car and don't see anything either. Had to take it to work tonight because they are expecting snow.

Comment

Hopefully things go your way. A friend of ours may be out of a job in the next couple of months since they plan to close the refinery he works at if it doesn't sell.

Anyway, check the rubber hose that connects to the small steel line on the passenger side, roughly in the center of the front wheel. It goes down under the battery to the charcoal canister. If that rubber hose is cracked or missing, or if the canister is busted open, you'll have a random fuel smell.

Comment

I had that exact problem^

You may also have rotted lines where it goes in beside the battery, those are metal lines. Mine were crusty but not rotted through.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Sounds like me...Crusty but not rotted through. I'll have to check both places. Thank You

Comment

Started working on the car again...more surprises

I need HELP !!! Started working on the car again. I was banished to Oklahoma for 6 weeks by my job. Took off the upper intake to change all the vacuum lines under there, and figured I'd change the heater hoses you can't get at, and extend the wiring harness for the O2 sensors so I could get at them with the Plenum on. Was tracing gas smell to the charcoal cannister on advice of the last post, found the vapor cannister full of water, and clear water perculating out of the steel line when I disconnected the rubber hose. What would cause that ??? This car has never been under water or anything. Any input would be appreciated

Comment

Working...
                                X